vroom vroom…

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2007 at 9:10 pm

Hey, I was wondering how everyone gets/got around?!?!

My GBS started 6 weeks ago. I was lucky in it only attacked from my hips down, but I did get the form that attacks the axon not the myelin sheath.

Anyway, I am grateful that I am doing well!! But I can not drive a car, ugh! So I was wondering how my fellow gbs’ers get around when/if they are at this point. I’m going crazy at home. The only time I get out is to my physical therapy appts. or if I ask someone to take me out…then I feel weird about it! (I also have 3 little kiddos that I need a sitter for or take with me!) I live in a very rural area or I’d be hopping on a bus just to get out!

We’ve considered getting one of those handicap hand control devices for a vehicle. Just not sure if it’s worth spending hundreds of dollars on or how well they work – Not to mention my car is a 5-speed, so I’d need to purchase another car or borrow my husband’s when he’s home!!! No, I would not trade my car in, I love my car 🙂 I know my legs will return to normal, right??!!

Any advice??

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2007 at 10:22 pm

rebecca,

right you are. give it time & you’ll be doing all 5 speeds again. rest now that you need to & have to. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 6:17 am

Hi Rebecca

I know how you feel, I was in the same position not long ago where I was basically waiting to be able to drive my car. My hubby and I mulled over getting handicap hand devices fitted because I was ready to be more independent and less reliant on others. Even though nobody minded doing these favours for me, I was starting to. As time passed, sure enough, I was able to drive and I haven’t stopped since (hehe) so just be patient, you will get there, your body is just not ready yet. Be positive and remember all good things take time. Keep 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 6:42 am

Hey Rebecca give it time you’ll soon be out and bout . As for the 3 kiddo’s send over I’ll watch them so you can have a day of rest. But that may be difficult I live inMichigan. You take care and rest so you will get better and be able to drive and do the things you want independently. Dawn C.

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 12:41 pm

If its only been 6 weeks then give it time, I am sure you will get better still. Be thankful you are otherwise up and about at 6 weeks and hopefully that will be enough to keep you going till you can drive again. I wouldnt invest in hand controls yet anyways. The docs say to expect improvement for a year and even though you can still see progress after that, then you will know what you are basically stuck with at a year because that is the time that progress supposedly slows down quite a lot. My progress is very slow now but I can see some very small improvements since Jan and I am still in rehab, they just cut it down to 2x a week for April. I am a completely different person now than I was a 6 weeks so just stay strong.