Vitamins, minerals, supplements or ?

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 9:32 am

Has your doctor recommended any supplemental vitamins, minerals, etc. to take while recovering? Our doctor said to take whatever we wanted and that he was not sure if they would have any impact. My wife is taking a multiple vitamin, B12 and Lecithin.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 9:56 am

multiple vitamin & vit E are a good idea. time & rest are the great gbs healers. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 10:05 am

No recommendation — I was taking Daily Multi-Vitamins and Mineral Dietary Supplements prior to GBS which where encouraged by the doctors. The only thing that was ever recommended was a 81mg asprin.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 10:39 am

I take a multivitamin, a baby aspirin, and a calcium supplement. If you are on prednisone or other similar steroid and don’t take Fosamax, a calcium supplement is recommended according to my Dr. That’s all I take, with 27 pills a day prescribed I try and keep any extras to a minimum.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 12:26 pm

I was struck with this virus when I was 8 in 1959. The way I was treated was with an intense regimen of B12 shots. Three times a week. I don’t remember how long. Physical exercise, like swimming was prescribed. It took me about two years to fully recover, even now I have shaking in my hands anywhere from noticeable to not at all.

I have had other problems during my adult life that I feel are attributable to this virus. I have never had any other help since the time I first had it. It is nice to find this forum at last!

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 1:02 pm

Hi Cjtay

Welcome to the forums. I was curious when I read your post to know if you remember having a Polio vaccine prior to GBS. The reason I ask is I had a similar thing happen to me after the first Polio vaccine came out in the 1950’s. I woke up after the vaccine and was paralyzed from the waist up and the Drs told my parents it was just a reaction to the vaccine. I have GBS/CIDP residual like symptoms and the Neuro said it was possible it was Polio or GBS. It’s been over 50 years for me, so I just learned to live with alot of this. It was my hubby who had GBS/CIDP.

Stay around and talk to the others here.:)

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 1:53 pm

ditto jerimy on 4000+ mg/day of calcium if you are on steroids. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 2:24 pm

I also take a multi vitamin. started taking it when i first started having symptoms and continue to take it now. I can tell if i run out of vitamins for a few days. less energy.

take care

sherry

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 5:11 pm

My GP told me to take a multi, and vitamin C to help my immune system after plasmapheresis. I also take occasional flaxseed oil-supposedly helps maintain myelin. So far, I have a pretty decent recovery, besides fatigue attacks, including one that lasted almost a week. I try to pamper myself, I know recovery takes a long time. Take care, and rest. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2006 at 6:37 pm

Greetings,
      I hope all is well with u today.. I would just add that I was recently dx with Osteoporosis. I have been on 20 mg of prednisone, for a number of years. I would recommend taking calcium supplements if I were on the P. They started me out on Fosamax, and extra calcium also. I was only on it for a month and the news came out about it causing bone loss in the jaw. I’m on Actonel now, and I take 1000mg calcium supplement daily.
      Good Luck
      God Bless

Osteoporosishttp://www.fore.org/

• Anonymous
      June 22, 2006 at 8:10 am

I’d also like to add that not all vitamins and supplements are created equal. if it doesnt dissolve in a glass of water w/1 tsp of lemon juice in 15 minutes, it isnt very effective. Those drug store one a days and centrums dont do crap. also, vitamin c should have rose hips in it, because they help our body absorb it.

• Anonymous
      June 22, 2006 at 8:47 am

After leaving the hospital, my doctor mentioned it might help to eat several eggs a day, scrambled or however I liked. He said that since nerves are made mostly of cholesterol, that I needed to make sure I was getting enough, and eggs have it. I’m not sure if it helped, but it can’t hurt. I also have two co-workers who developed tingling and nerve problems in their hands after going on Lipitor to control their cholesterol. Their symptoms went away after they stopped taking it, so maybe my doctor was onto something.

• Anonymous
      June 22, 2006 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for the egg tip. I have been eating more eggs than usual too, because of the protein to help w/muscle building. I just watch what I eat with the egg, like no fatty sausage or bacon!! :p

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2006 at 10:52 pm

At the hospital they put me on 2 tablets of Calcium 500 mg each along with a few other things that I can’t remember right now.

After I got off Neurontin, I started with the calcium as before and added Vitimin E 400 IU, Super B-Complex, Magnesium, Folic Acid, Glucosamine with MSM, Vitimine C 1000 mg, and then my other prescription medications.

When I went to a different Rheumothogist, he looked at my vitamin group that I was taking and he said it was a good combination.

It sure is enough to take.

• Anonymous
      July 2, 2006 at 4:55 pm

I am not a doctor but had alot of home time to read and believe nutrition played a huge role in my recovery. I took a whole food vitamin supplemnt 3x a day, 1/4 cup flax seed a day (myelin sheath repair),1 tbs bee pollen(myelin sheath repair),1 tbs wheat germ(myelin sheath repair), and servings of oranges,carrots,celery,cabbage,brocoli,blueberries,spinach,apple. All of these things I made a 32oz smoothie every day in a vita mix. I had this once a day and just ate sensibly for other meals. I would pay a 10x more for my vita mix as I believe it is the most important tool for anyone to gets lots of veggie servings. It has been six months and am about 80% of what I once was-I still vitamix every day and plan on doing so forever. I believe we all have to be proactive and take the initiative in our own treatment since drs sometimes don’t have a clue. Is anyone else using nutrition and supplements and what are your results? I think it would be nice to pool everyones info to help those who might be interested. By the way does anyone have an occasional beer and what are the effects on an already compromised nervous system? Ted.

• Anonymous
      July 4, 2006 at 7:54 pm

Ted-

Where did you get your vitamins from?? I am currently taking puritans pride vitamins. Also, my neuro says its OK to have a drink or 2 now and then, just not to get smashed ๐Ÿ˜ฎ (well not those exact words).

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2006 at 12:47 am

cara-I take natures way alive whole food supplement 3x a day as reccomended. I don’t know if they are the best choice but they seem to be well balanced and cover a lot of necessary nutrients. I would still like to know what other people are using and their thoughts. These were highly recomended to me by people smarter than I. As for the drinking I will take you up on that drink-your choice but make mine a beer!

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2006 at 9:22 am

Ted-

do you have a link to natures way website?? I am interested in checking them out. Now about that drink — I think Ill hve a smirnoff twisted black cherry, would you like a yuengling or a miller?? ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 12:26 am

Cara-Try [url]www.naturesway.com[/url]. Check out the ingredients and let me know what you think. I was told about these by a nurse who was giving these to her husband during chemo. I priced around and found vitacost.com to be the cheapest for these kind of things. What’s your opinion on flax seed/oil and bee pollen? I don’t know if these helped but why change a good thing! Now for the important part-I’ve always been a miller kind of guy but have seriously been thinking since hitting my 30’s, becoming a parent, and now gbs I should branch out into something more sophisticated-a chablis perhaps? What do you think??? Take Care! Ted

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2006 at 8:58 am

Thanks, Ted! I am going to order some today. Sorry took soo long to answer, I just got back from Myrtle Beach. I like some wines, but not many. Occasional glass of red wine here. If U like the beer, go for it! We PA dutch like to say, if it ain’t broke, dont fix it! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I have not done alot of research on the bee pollen. However the omega 3s in flax help build the myelin sheath. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2006 at 1:53 pm

my sister is taking vitamin E, TRI B (B1b6B12), vitamin C, sintrom 3/4, analgan:) she has had GBS in april 5th 2006