Vitamins… Hinder or Help?

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm

My parents wanted me to start mannatech vitamins, soI read up on them, it seems to boost immune system function….Do I want my immune system boosted, it seems like all the treatments are trying to slow the immune system. I don’t want to take anything that’s going to hinder instead of help.

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I have always been told you do not want to take supplements that boost your immune system. But you do want to take things like vitamin D, etc. They maintain a healthy immune system.

I would consult with your dr before starting any supplements…just to be on the safe side.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2011 at 9:44 am

I would concur with Kelly. Prednisone, cellcept and some of the chemotherapy agents used to treat CIDP are designed to suppress your already hyperactive immune system. So it would seem to me that you wouldn’t want to use anything that would work at cross purposes to this goal.

Sharon

• May 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

John,

I am a HUGE believer in vitamin supplements to help you feel as good as possible. However, you need to research your supplements and check with your doctor and/or pharmacist to be certain you are not taking anything that will hinder your recovery.

Mannatech products come up on this forum every couple of years. Apparently there are many people who think these products help them. However, this article – [url]http://glycob.oxfordjournals.org/content/18/9/652.full[/url] – casts doubt on the science behind Mannatech’s claims. Just because they are nice people making sincere anecdotal claims does not mean there is repeatable, verifiable science involved. At worst they are scam artists with a pyramid scheme out to profit from your illness.

I personally use this multi vitamin pill – [url]http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Synergy-Once-Daily-Multi-Vitamin[/url] – because the one pill has almost all of the antioxidants and supplements I was taking in 10 pills a day for the last 10 years. I also take fish oil pills and extra calcium supplements. (I do not have anything to do with the Vitacost folks other than being a satified customer.)

The most important things you need for your CIDP are adequate rest and a healthy diet. Before you spend a lot of money on supplements do your own research and/or discuss an appropriate nutritional supplement program with a pharmacist or doctor. My own neurologist said I could take my vitamin plan “if it makes you feel better”. On the other hand, our family doctor regularly recommends supplements to my husband and myself based on blood tests from our check ups.

It’s your health. You owe it to yourself to make educated decisions.

Flossie