Vitamin D Deficiency

• Anonymous
      November 22, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I was diagnosed with CIDP in April of this year and have been on IVIG since. I also have psoriasis. My rheumatologist recently diagnosed me with a Vitamin D deficiency and prescribed Ergocalciferol ( prescription strength Vitamin D). Has anyone here been diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency? If so, were you given that prescription medication?:confused:

• Anonymous
      November 22, 2010 at 9:06 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]but– in my case and a few others i know of, we just were told to take vit d3– 10,000iu for 2-3 weeks and then drop it down to 5000iu thereafter.

fyi, deficiency of vit d is associated with numerous autoimmune disorders:
      [url]http://www.ehow.com/how_5307279_much-vitamin.html[/url]
      [/FONT]

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2010 at 1:05 am

Personally I think this is something new going on. My husband went in for his yearly bloodwork last month (is on a statin) & instead of the $300 one he usually gets, it was $600 & he was checked for all kinds of new levels. He was dx with a vitamin D deficiency as well & must take supplements for 6 months & go back. I expect when I have mine done in Feb I will probably get the same dx.

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2010 at 8:00 am

I have a Vit D deficiency. Vit D is usually one of the benefits of the sun and I work indoors all day. I’m also on medication with a warning that I should avoid excessive sunlight.

Initially, my Vit D level was a 6 (this was approx. 2 years ago). I had a prescription for 50,000iu weekly for roughly 6 months. I’m no longer on the prescription as my levels went up to 30 or a bit above. Per my recent bloodwork, the levels are back down and my PCP has prescribed 2000iu daily.

Take care,

Tina

• November 23, 2010 at 9:08 am

hey there

vit d deficiency is all over the news in Canada, apparently all Canucks are at risk for low levels because of our hibernating ways during Dec-March……

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2010 at 9:27 am

Northern Guitar Guy,
      We live in northern MN which probably has the same forecast as you (maybe even colder) during the winter months. We do hibernate during the winter months, & it is very cloudy here for many of the months. But he had gone in in Oct & we had a beautiful summer, having spent most of the time outdoors at our cabin. Also, we broke warm record temps in Sept & Oct, even into the middle of Nov. I just thought it strange that he would have this deficiency after being outside in the sun all of those months. Have they always checked for this in routine blood screenings?

BTW we are really paying for the warm fall now, with lots & lots of snow!

• November 23, 2010 at 9:50 am

yay! snow in MN often is a sign that snow is on the way to ONT., I can’t wait to get out the shovel! ….BTW, where’s the damn sarcastic face button??:)…my vit. d levels were fine when I went into ICU and they tested me for everything including the Black Plague, I was taking it and drinking a lot of soy milk anyway, not sure when they should test or if natural levels build up, not sure what a ‘good level’ is for that matter……:confused:

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2010 at 10:54 am

[QUOTE=Pam H]Northern Guitar Guy,

BTW we are really paying for the warm fall now, with lots & lots of snow![/QUOTE]

Lots and lots of snow already?? 😮 I keep praying Michigan doesn’t have much snow this year as ice and snow are my worse two enemies!!

Snow is pretty when I don’t have to go outside. I’m sure you can guess that I use personal days as snow days!!!

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2010 at 11:20 am

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]i don’t think there is anything super new about the need for a proper amount of vitamin D in the body– historically we have seen that its deficiency causes rickets for example.

new research is amazingly showing frightening data about so many other diseases that occur when D is deficient: cancer, [B]autoimmune disorders[/B], cardiovascular disease, among others!

folks went nuts for several years covering their skin to protect against skin cancer– the usual human overreaction–swinging pendulum process– instead of taking [I]some[/I] precautions, instead, the sun became an evil force to be avoided in all respects– clothing, skin protection. additionally, most americans eat a diet that is one of the marvels of modern medicine– that is how they can even remain alive with the processed nonsense they put in their bodies, not to mention all of the subsequent vitamin, phytonutrients and mineral deficiencies.

it is important to know that vitamin D is not a vitamin in the classic sense, it is a hormone. its role in health is emerging like a firestorm. having said that, clear and current research already knows a lot. i suggest doing a computer search and reading through a number of articles and authors– but i’ll attach just one here:
      [U][url]http://lewrockwell.com/miller/miller25.html[/url][/U]

in my case, i take 5000iu daily even though i don’t hide from the sun (nor do i foolishly worship it) it has simply become a part of my daily supplementation.

i can’t help myself:
      [U][url]http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/061219/19msvitamind.htm[/url]
      [url]http://arthritis-research.com/content/10/6/123[/url]
      [url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9316607[/url][/U]
      [/FONT]

• November 23, 2010 at 12:22 pm

sunscreen is more prevelant as well in today’s world. kev was 7 and is now 30 w/the past summers sun and liquid vit d (better absorption) that we took from feb to apr

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2010 at 3:33 am

I too have a vit d deficency I’ve been taking prescription strength of 50,000 units 2 times a week for about 9 months now. I go in the spring to get levels checked & I’ll find out what they are then. I live in Ohio & its hot & sunny in summer at times, but other meds say to watch sun exposer, I try to get out when i can. In the winter its cold and sometimes very snowey or just snowey.

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2010 at 10:22 am

I can sympathize. I am up in the mountains of central Pennsylvania. The rumor is that we get the second least amount of sunny days in the U.S. For Christmas this year I got my wife a Day Light sunlamp/lightbox. I intend to use it too. It’s supposed to help with SAD, the blues, depression, and is also supposed to help regulate sleep. Don’t know if it will help with my Vitamin D deficiency. I’ll let you know how it does for us.