Vitamin B12 users: how much do you take?

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I know that when I got out of the hospital in 1995 after my GBS, I was regularly taking Vitamin B12 supplements. Somehow along the way I fell out of taking them, and I don’t remember what the dosage was.

I’ve started up again recently, and it does seem to be helping my GBS symptoms slightly. But, for those of us here who do take B12, how many mgs a day do you take??

• August 12, 2011 at 3:54 pm

5000 mcg as the label recommends

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I take about 3,000 daily but it is a complex of the b vitamins and other stuff. My old neuro looked at the bottle and approved it – Alive by Nature’s Way. It makes a difference!

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2011 at 12:21 am

Not sure if you know that there are two forms of B12: methylcobalamin and cyanocobalamin. The most common and less expensive form is the cyanocobalamin, but the methylcobalamin is the most effective and is the better one to use for neurological diseases. It is best if you take a B complex with it so that you do not create an imbalance of the other B’s. A study done back in ’94 suggested that the methylcobalamin form could increase the synthesis of of particular proteins that help regenerate nerves. The cynancobalamin form is difficult for the body to absorb. With my first bout with GBS my doctor had me give myself injections, but I did not notice any difference. Not saying that it was not working…just could not tell. I think the ideal way would be to use a sublingual form of Methylcobalamin.
      Hope this helps.

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I take a great big multivitamin/multimineral tablet for Seniors every day.
      Would an extra Vitamin B-12 supplement be advisable?
      Without my vitamins, I’d never make it; my GBS weakness is becoming more and more pervasive and debilitating. Since this spring, I’ve lost more muscle strength in both arms and shoulders (have trouble lifting a coffee pot now with both hands, though I could do it easily last year); both hands and wrists are swollen, like sprains. Terrible muscle pains again all day & night. And it was less than 4 years ago that I rode a bike and easily walked miles every day, could almost lift 50 lbs., before GBS. If I wasn’t descended from hardy peasant stock (most of whom live to their mid-eighties), I’d be dead.
      I thank God for that more and more. If only modern science hadn’t wrecked me.