Victoria, B.C.

• Anonymous
      July 24, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Does anyone get IVIG treatments done on Vancouver Island in Victoria, B.C.?

Might have to temporarily relocate and wondering if I can get IVIG done there.

Thanks

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Rhonda I don’t know anyone who gets IVIG in Victoria. I have MS and needed solumedrol in a different community once, and my GP had to refer me to a local GP in the area and then he met with me and ordered the solumedrol to be given at his local hospital where he had privileges. It all gets so complicated doesn’t it? I would think that any Victoria hospital day care would adminster the IVIG, but you would need referral to a local GP who has privileges at a hospital. Your GP should be able to set it up. My GP phoned the other GP and wrote a follow up letter, but it took about a month to coordinate. Good luck.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm

trying to get IVIG in another community is almost impossible!!!

Can’t get it done in Victoria until I can find a doctor that is in the community with hospital privledges.

right now I am waiting for my usual nurse to email orders then it is off to sit in local emergency room to get a doctor to take me on and then we can order IVIG!!!!urgggg! 😡

I’ll keep you posted!

• January 4, 2012 at 7:07 pm

yesssss—the whole hospitals and dr privlidges really messes things up. I ran into the same problem recently to get plasma exchange. I live in a small rural town, with a small hosp (which is where my gp is) but in order to get PE i will need to travel 3 hours away to where my neuro-musc Dr is because the small hosp doesnt do it—and she doesnt have Dr privlidges at any of the larger hospitals near me.
      so basically need to have a dr at the hosp you will receive treatment at, even if its not your own prescribing dr—i guess— just a dr who will accept the orders and the responsibility of the procedure?????
      If you find a way around it post and let me know , how Lori

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Good luck Rhonda! The system isn’t exactly user friendly is it? We would like to go for an extended holiday, but hubby gets his IVIG every 3 weeks so we have to try to work around that. He deteriorates without that regime. He just switched neurologists and boy is that another story–lost file etc. Looking forward to hearing a positive outcome from you Rhonda.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      January 5, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Well I spent yesterday afternoon sitting in the ER room trying to get someone to sign a paper so I can get IVIG. I didn’t get the signature…

now I have to see a neuroligist in Victoria, I have an appt next Thursday.

so the question remians when will I get IVIG?

This doctor has also said I can only have 70 grams of IVIG even though I have an order from another neuroligist and doctor ordering 90 grams.

Stay tuned….I feel like a prisoner. I guess this means I can never go on extended vacation if I want treatment.

How do others deal with this? I would be interested to know.

I will update as I get more info myself.

Have a great weekend, I know mine will be filled with pain as I am already 1 week overdo for treatment!

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      January 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Yay!!!!!
      IVIG scheduled for Monday morning. 😀

I will also see neuroligist on Thursday so if I am back here and need IVIG it can be arranged much easier.

have a great weekend
      Cheers, Rhonda