Vibrating platform?

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 6:14 pm

I’m wondering if anyone has had any experience with a vibrating platform (the one I have heard about is the SoloFlex WBV, but there may be others on the market).

I have a copy of The Surgeon General’s Report on Bone Loss and Osteoporosis from the Health and Human Services website that states “For those who cannot engage in regular physical activity due to disability, mechanical stimulation of the skeleton might prove beneficial” and “use of vibrating platforms increased BMD and slowed bone loss”.

I have also read that vibrating platforms are used by professional atheletes to increase muscle building benefits when used with other types of exercise.

I’m thinking of buying one of these for myself to supplement exercise for muscle building, and also for my mother who has osteoporosis. The company offers a 30 day trial use, with free shipping to your home. I’m thinking that I might try it and see if it helps.

Any information or opinions will be appreciated.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 10:59 pm

Early on in my GBS experience I could not stand anything that vibrated! My Aunti gave me a device for my feet and it drove me crazy. Just the vibration of the car produced pain. Also, in 30 days it would be impossible to know if the bed was improving your bone mass. My personal opinion is “buyer beware” 🙂

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 12:47 am

Hi,

I’d agree with Judy. Maybe for the mild cases such as yours, it may prove of some benifit, but for me also, vibration is one of my enimies. I can get my hands and arms to go numb in minutes just pushing a vacume around, which I care to not revisit. To me, the decision would be how much money and time do I want to waste, or can afford to waste, if nothing comes of it. I got a $300 recumbent bike in my garage that I though I could use, so no more of that for me.

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 1:26 am

[QUOTE=racer13]Hi,

I’d agree with Judy. Maybe for the mild cases such as yours, it may prove of some benifit, but for me also, vibration is one of my enimies. I can get my hands and arms to go numb in minutes just pushing a vacume around, which I care to not revisit. To me, the decision would be how much money and time do I want to waste, or can afford to waste, if nothing comes of it. I got a $300 recumbent bike in my garage that I though I could use, so no more of that for me.[/QUOTE]

I bought a $300 recumbent bike and I love it. Of course, I overdo and ache for days but, for me, it’s a real positive step.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 11:24 pm

exercise with a healthy diet can do the same as an expensive thing that vibrates. i can’t even stand to use my electric shaver or toothbrush because of the vibrations. i would do more research if i were you. just my opinion.