very strange…

• April 3, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Okay I have had several dr’s ask about my prior steriod therapy/usage. What the heck? When I explain I have not had steriod therapy or usage…not even nasal spray or inhalers or extended usage of skin cream…they are surprised. They say I exhibit signs of steriod use (one i know for sure is the size of my veins, but I have always had small veins so I dunno what is meant by this). Today I went in for my sinuses and the dr mentioned a corticosteriod nasal spray and I didnt really want to use it and then asked about why dr’s would say I have been on steriods before. She said it could very well be the effects of the GBS. Huh?? I made sure she understood that I had never been on prednisone for the GBS and had had no treatment. But she still insisted that the “signs of steroid use” could be caused by the GBS. I am so confused. Has anyone ever heard of this? or could anyone explain what she meant?

thanks

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2009 at 11:55 am

I have never heard of this before. The odd thing about people being given steroids for GBS is that I was told to avoid systemic steroids because it could adversely affect GBS patients. Several years ago I went to the hospital for an allergic reaction and they gave me prednisone, which I continued for a week. I had a horrible flair up of symptoms, which sent me to the neurologist for the first time in years. I have had problems ever since. When I read on here that people had taken, or were currently being given steroids for GBS, it puzzled me.

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Steroids are used for CIDP. Studies have shown they do not help GBS patients.

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2009 at 10:54 am

Kassandra,

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2009 at 3:24 pm

LOL…
      Only kidding…
      I never heard that before.
      Like…hey, you look like your on steroids today…(???)
      LOL
      I’d like to hear that doctor’s explanation of what he meant by that.
      KEDASO

• April 5, 2009 at 3:35 pm

LOL yea if it were THAT obvious then I could accept it. But to say that because of small veins and some other reason that I have forgotten. I dunno, but yea a better explanation would be great.