very fortunate

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 4:24 pm

I came down with CIDP in the early summer of 2005. At the time, I was in the middle of getting my Master’s degree in Educational Administration. That summer, shortly after the symptoms began to appear, I was only able to walk a few feet at a time, sit up only for a couple minutes before I was totally exhausted, and was very frustrated that I appeared to be destined to whither away. Before knowing my diagnosis, I really thought I would be dead within a year.

I had to stop taking college courses and took a half year off from work. I feel I am extremely fortunate, as I was able to return to working at a job I love, was able to take courses again, and am leading a reasonably normal life. Although I have a steady regiment of CellCept and monthly infusions of IVIG, I live a pretty normal life- except feet numbness and being totally wiped out at the end of the day. My heart and prayers go out to all who read this that are struggling with CIDP or GBS, as I feel very lucky and blessed with my progression.

I just completed my degree in administration and passed a very rough test to be able to get my principal’s license. This is a more exciting accomplishment now than what I would have been since getting this dreadful “syndrome.” Thank you to all for giving advice, whether it was to me directly or through the threads I have peaked into! I also thank my wife and kids for putting up with me and helping me through this all. God has blessed me immensely. Thanks for reading my success story. I hope you have a great one as well soon!!

Dennis

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 11:34 pm

Hi Dennis

That’s awesome to hear how well you’re doing and to pass your degree while recovering is so cool, you must be over the moon. Just goes to show anythings possible. I’m 7mths in recovery and all but doing what I was prior (I have residual damage but just get on with it) and just thinking about taking up some study myself so if you can do it, so can I. Take care and good luck 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 8:20 pm

Dennis,

I am so happy for you, way to hang in there and complete your degree. We love success stories 🙂

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 9:56 pm

Hi Dennis,
      Before I caught GBS in 2002 I worked my butt off to put my husband thru school so he could make a major carreer change and go into teaching a passion he always had but thought maybe later it just doesn’t pay! We both decided before we adopted our daughter that Life was too short and it was a better example to be Happy and proud of what you do, than stressed and making lot’s of money. (not that we were but there was potential!) Well, he loved teaching then I got sick and now because of all the forsight he had to continue his education he was able to get that Administrative credential and is a V.P. hopefully a Principal one day. I always worry I am a burden when I’m sick and because I can’t work and he reminds me how I did my share to get him where he is at. It sounds like you have a wonderful wife and family, “Congratulations” on completing the program in spite of all the days & nights I’m sure you felt like giving up or asking for “one more extension…please!”
      Take Care & God Bless you,
      Joyce

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 1:26 am

Dennis, That is Wonderful News!!!! Way To Go!!! You are a Great Inspiration to Me!! Thank You for sharing your successes with us.:)

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2007 at 11:33 am

Thank you for those who responded. It’s nice having cyber-friends.

Niki,

I was able to do my courses on-line via distance education. I doubt all studies are available to do this, but it was sooooo nice being able to stay home and take classes right here at my computer. All you need is a fast connection and a microphone to communicate to the professor. It eliminates to and from travel time- which can be exhausting. Plus, I was able to sit in a comfortable chair and even eat supper while I took the class! At least look into the possibilities- as there are a lot more creative ways to get a degree these days. I hope to hear you graduate in the near future!

And Joyce,

I seriously doubt you are a “burden” to those who love and care for you! It sounds like your husband has the right idea and is wonderful as well!

Dennis