vaccines

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2008 at 10:26 am

Hi,
      Since my wife and I have some spare time in the next month and a half, we thought of going abroad and rest for a while. we had quite a difficult year.
      Anyway, we both wanted to visit India again, and I am a bit confused wheteher I can really go there.
      I am treated with IVIG and do not know if I can take the necessary vaccine simultaneously.
      As I understood, the purpose of the IVIG is to replace my blood antibodies. If I’ll take the vaccines, and then have my IVIG, it will be for nothing, since the IVIG will “filter” my blood.
      On the other hand, the vaccines probably function like my immune system, sotaking it without treating myself with IVIG might worsen my state. I am a bit confused.
      Does anyone knows what’s true and what’s not? Is it possible that I can’t get safely to places like India?
      Chen.

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Hello,
      I think the best one to help you with advice is one of our members named NORB. Norb and his wife made a trip to Thailand. Look for a post by Norb and click on his name to send him an email or click on members list to find him.

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2008 at 10:31 am

I found a number of web pages with information about contraindications between IVIg and vaccines. The gist of the information on all of them was the same. Here’s a paste that’s representative of what I found.

[I]Can I have immunizations while on IV Ig?
      IV Ig may interfere with the immune response following any vaccine and thus make the vaccine less effective. Therefore it is best to avoid vaccines for at least 6 weeks (sometimes longer, depending on the exact vaccine) after receiving IV Ig.[/I]

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2008 at 12:49 pm

There is some concern with getting vaccines & having CIDP. You really should speak with your neurologist about this.

Having a small child who gets IVIG has meant that I’ve had to learn about vaccines & IVIG. You should not get a vaccine within 3 months of receiving IVIG. The vaccine will not work because of the IVIG.

I’ll be interested in what you find out with regards to traveling. A while ago there was an article in the IG Living magazine about a woman who gets subQ IVIG & she went to Africa. She did have to take the malaria pills.

Hope that helps.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Hi,
      Thanks for all the replies. I’ve been away for a few days, so couldn’t check what’s going on here.
      Anyway, we decided to postpone our trip at the moment. Nevertheless, I’ll be seeing a neurologist this Tuesday, so I’ll probably check out a few things about the vaccines.
      Will update.
      Chen.

• Anonymous
      November 22, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Met with a very known neurologist that researched immune system illness(besides his practice as a physician). He told me there is no problem having these vaccines shots. Also told me that the IVIG does not effect the immunization I have already got.

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2008 at 9:20 am

Mogo, what vaccines are you having? I’m a little surprised by your doctor’s answer so I’m quite curious which vaccines he researched.

Also, since you’re on IVIG, if I recall correctly, IGg is used as a short-term hepatitis A vaccine subsitute in people who can’t have the actual vaccination. Anyway, I’d love to know more about what vaccines your doctor said are permissable while on IVIG.

-kat

vaccines

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2008 at 10:25 am

Hi,
      Since my wife and I had some spare time in the next month and a half, we thought of going abroad and rest for a while. we had quite a difficult year.
      Anyway, we both wanted to visit India again, and I am a bit confused wheteher I can really go there.
      I am treated with IVIG and do not know if I can take the necessary vaccine simultaneously.
      As I understood, the purpose of the IVIG is to replace my blood antibodies. If I’ll take the vaccines, and then have my IVIG, it will be for nothing, since the IVIG will “filter” my blood.
      On the other hand, the vaccines probably function like mu immune system, so it might worsen my state. I am a bit confused.
      Does anyone knows what’s true and what’s not? Is it possible that I can’t get safely to places like India?
      Chen.

Vaccines

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2006 at 3:28 pm

Hi… I have a question about vaccines. My father has been diagnosed with miller fisher and it is not yet known whether he will recover. He has double vision, eyes that do not focus or move properly, some facial numbness, and has been treated with the immune globulin and plasma exchange 5 times but we still have not seen a whole lot of improvement, actually none, and it has been 2 months. Anyhow, I was wondering if he should get a flu vaccine before this winter or would that be a bad idea?

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2006 at 4:43 pm

Stephanie, Please check the thread on the Main Forum called “Should I have vaccines?” CanuckGirl, another MF variant, has a thread that might help you decide.

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2006 at 10:16 pm

stephanie,

absolutely, positively NO flu shot. he will recover. gbs stands for Get Better Slowly. plasmapheresis washes out the ivig & should not be given for at least 4 weeks after ivig. as long as he is not getting worse he is on the road to recovery. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 4:42 pm

[QUOTE=Stephanie]Hi… I have a question about vaccines. My father has been diagnosed with miller fisher and it is not yet known whether he will recover. He has double vision, eyes that do not focus or move properly, some facial numbness, and has been treated with the immune globulin and plasma exchange 5 times but we still have not seen a whole lot of improvement, actually none, and it has been 2 months. Anyhow, I was wondering if he should get a flu vaccine before this winter or would that be a bad idea?[/QUOTE]
      Stephanie – I was dx’d with Miller Fisher 3/06 did not get my vision back until around 4 months – the Drs told me eye exercies would not work but I did them anyway – just made myself keep the patch off and looking around the room or outside in the yard (my eyes were locked) – bottom line especially with Miller Fisher 1 out of 800,000 people get it they are not really sure what works and does not. I started improving after 4 months then started sliding back (I started back to work and NO rest) all I can say is rest, rest, nap, nap – from reading the forum for GBS, etc. with the cranal nerve it will not heal without resting – I wish my Drs would of been a little more forceful with me regarding that – especially the PT’s – with Miller Fisher your muscles are really not that involved just your nerves – I had a bit of my cerabelem? nerve affected as well – I did not receive the IVG for 6 days after onset. I have the facial thing, numb teeth, burning tongue, no salvae, shoulders and back ache, etc. What was your father’s protein count – mine was 93. If you don’t mind me asking how old is he – I am 59 yrs old and was in pretty good health except I had two knee replacements a year before that and they never heald!!
      Good luck and go to GBS area as well.
      Sally

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2006 at 1:39 pm

Team GENE

As you know the GBS Symposium was just held in Phoenix. One of the guest speakers, I don’t remember which doctor, during the question and answer session answered the question about flu shots. He said that we should get the shots and because only vacines made from a live virace would be a problem. Vacines for the most part are not made from a live virace. So no problems right. I still don’t take the shot.

Jim

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2006 at 8:11 pm

jim,

my opinion is that you made the right choice. among the many, many things you were not told is that vaccines are egg based & can be a source of gbs. search this site for all the info. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2006 at 3:39 pm

Team Gene

One of the other things that have been discussed to avoid are nerve deadening agents like you get at the dentists. Novicain or members of that family. I would like to tell you what has just happened to me. I have been avoiding having a wisdom tooth removed because of the Novicane issue. Well I finelly had it removed. First the Novicain had almost no effect on me. After massive doses my lip was just starting to tingle. They didn’t want to give me any more. I-V Valium really does work though. After surgery I had little to no pain in my jaw. I never had to take any pain medication. When I went back for my check up, the doctor could not believe my lack of pain. Some of my face muscles have not come back from the M-F and I think one of the nerves effected was the one that ran down my jaw. Who said Miller Fisher was bad?

Jim