Update–things are improving!

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Hey just wanted to let you all know that L. (my 12-yr-old) is improving a lot lately, and is now getting around on crutches. No more wheelchair, except for long stints (like at airport, etc).

She’s doing full days at school, which involves a lot of walking (crutching, I should say) around. School just started, but the first few days went well.
      Still having trouble walking without crutches or other support, but getting stronger and steadier by the day. It has been 7 months since GBS, but things are looking up.

Thanks to everyone for ongoing support and advice! You are all great.

• August 24, 2007 at 6:23 pm

Hi E,

I am so glad to hear of L’s improvement. It is so amazing how for so long things just seem to be moving along at a turtles pace and then boom! Sudden improvement! Kevin was the same way! How exciting L can make it through the whole day now! Best wishes for continued progress and a great new school year!

Love and best wishes,
      Dawn Kevies mom 😮

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2007 at 2:08 pm

I am so glad to hear that things are coming along. I have been thinking of you, wondering how the summer went and school was coming along. What kind of crutches is she using? Is she still in therapy? Feel free to email me if you would like.
      Mary

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Hi Mary. I sent you an email w/ an update. How is your daughter doing?
      L’s on regular crutches. Started with those in late July, very hard at first!
      However, I think all the swimming we did over summer really built up her upper body strength, and that helped. Now she is getting around really well with them.

We still do PT, just once a week right now (though we may ramp that up).
      We are also going to do some private training with a yoga/pilates instructor that I know. She’s worked w/ rehabbing people before and is very careful. I think it will be more fun than regular PT is. Tried some yoga on our own but I think having an instructor will be helpful and motivating.

Though we won’t stop doing regular PT in any case! Not until she is back to walking well on her own.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2007 at 7:54 pm

I’m so proud/happy she is doing so well. I’m 8 months out. She is so young to have to go through this. She must be very tough. I know I’m also doing better but I still get so frustrated. Shawn

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2007 at 10:59 am

Last week was bad, it was so hot here (nearly 100 every day) and L’s school is not air conditioned. It just wiped her out and she ended up staying home for 2.5 days. I basically made her stay home the last day, she wanted to go back but she’d been so weak and tired that I didn’t want to subject her to the heat.

She seems much better now that the heat has lifted. She is tough! And also, doesn’t focus a lot on what she can’t yet do. I know she hates not being able to do everything she could before, and sometimes gets frustrated, but she rarely spends time dwelling on that. She’s thrilled she’s out of the wheelchair, and has a constant faith that she WILL get all better, it will just take time.

Dr. Shawn, you will get better too! Actually, you are much improved. Just not back to ‘normal’. Life doesn’t always wait for you to get better though, especially ‘grown up’ life, so that has caused you a lot of stress I am sure.