Update on nate

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2007 at 1:03 pm

He has been suddenly showing some really good progress.
      His walk with a walker is starting to look like a much more normal walk now.
      He’s not just taking a step at a time anymore. PT has him walking all over the place now too, up an incline, down an incline, outside, etc. He still has to rest for awhile though but he is going far.
      Last Monday he decided he wanted to try the short steps in PT.
      He did that just like it was no big deal. There was a person on each side of him just in case.
      Then yesterday he decided to try the big steps. The first one was good, the second harder and by the third one it was hard and the fourth one, really hard to get up, but he did it! Coming down was hard though. Good old rubber legs.
      I was so proud of him and he was proud of himself. I think he felt victorious doing that, and sweaty.
      Its amazing to see him doing these things.
      There are still setbacks though, like falling but just seeing him doing what he is doing lately is wonderful.
      It has been 20 1/2 mos now.
      He still has a long way to go, but one day he will walk again on his own.
      He just needs to get his legs stronger and get the balance back but I know he will do it.
      Like I told him last night, pretty soon his wheelchair will be just for going places like shopping.
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2007 at 2:58 pm

[B]Oh Trudy,

What wonderful news. Tell Nate to keep up the great work he is accomplishing

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ [/B]

• July 7, 2007 at 4:33 pm

Trudy,

It’s great to hear Nate is making progress.

Dawn Kevies mom ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2007 at 4:41 pm

Trudy, That is Great News!!! I’m soo Proud Of Nate!! I can only imagine of how He is feeling inside. Please give Nate a Big Hug for me. Keep Up the Great Work Nate!!!

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2007 at 11:16 pm

Nate and I forgot his walker was in the dining room last night. About 12:30 I heard a crash and so did our littlest doggie. She was freaking out.
      I got up to see what it was. It was Nate.
      He decided that since he was doing so well he would get more adventurous.
      He decided to see if he could walk to the bathroom holding onto furniture and walls.
      He forgot he had Ambien in his system and was really tired.
      He lost his balance, hit his shoulder on the desk, then landed on his left knee and hip.
      His balance is still really iffy so trying to walk without something to hold onto with both hands doesn’t work yet.
      He sat there for a minute looking disgusted, then got on his knees and crawled back into his room and got himself up on his recliner. I went and got his walker. He was in a lot of pain but nature was calling.
      We have another walker in the clubhouse here. I think I will go get an extra one to keep here. I sure don’t want that happening anymore.
      I suppose its to be expected that sooner or later he was going to try to do things he’s not ready for. I guess he had to find out.
      His shoulder hurts today as well as his knee and hip.
      He’s not moving around much.
      It should be ok by monday though. He says he will be doing the steps again. He will feel better then.
      That’s the right attitude.
      Trudy, Natesmom

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2007 at 2:34 am

its amazing how wonderful the things we previously took for granted feel when we are able to master them again. Well done Nate, another giant leap on the road to recovery, keep up the hard work!

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2007 at 11:44 am

YAY for Nate!

It’s great to hear that he is doing so well.

He WILL be able to walk again one day. I can feel it!

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2007 at 12:31 pm

Nate has a friend named Arnie and he and his girlfriend are getting married in October. Nate is supposed to be Arnie’s best man, my other son Ben is going to be an usher.
      Arnie told Nate last year that he didn’t care if Nate could walk or not, he still wants him to be his best man. Arnie is a good guy.
      Nate and I are pretty sure that he will be able to walk it with a walker but we’re not anticipating him being able to stand very long. Standing still is way harder than moving for some reason.
      They will have his chair close by to scoot under him after a couple of minutes. That should work just fine.
      Its a very good motivation for Nate to walk longer distances at PT. He has gone from not wanting to try to trying things that he’s not ready for.
      Oh well, at least he is trying now and its working.
      It does not seem like 20 1/2 mos has gone by. Wow
      Trudy, natesmom

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2007 at 10:08 pm

Trudy I am so happy for Nate, he has come so so far. If either of you ever need anything, please email me. Tell Nate hi and I know he will do great in the wedding, his determination is inspiring.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2007 at 9:22 am

soo awesome to hear!!! go nate go!

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2007 at 10:22 pm

and an inspiration… Talk about not admitting defeat? He and you are truly stars in my book.

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2007 at 10:53 pm

What wonderful news and what terrific spirit!!! With determination like this, I bet he’ll progress even more quickly now. Good for you and good for Nate!!!:D

p.s. Thanks for the wonderful update.

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2007 at 7:28 am

Lori,

I’ve been away for just over two weeks and this is wonderful news to come back to! I am absolutely thrilled, sitting h here with a beaming smile ๐Ÿ˜€