Update & Residuals

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 1:56 am

Hi Everybody,
      I just wanted to provide an update on my story after contracting mild GBS about 5 months ago (May 2006) after receiving a Dtap vaccine. I’m 38. Before the shot, I was jogging and in excellent shape. By June, I could hardly walk. My case was considered “mild” and I saw 2 neurologists who refused to give me any treatment, insisting that this would resolve naturally, and that I needed to “relax”. This has been the longest and worst few months of my life and I am still not back to my old self yet. I have a lot of residual pain in my legs mostly. I would describe them as deep aches or “twanging” sensations. The pain moves from one spot to another. When I am tired or stressed out (which I am easily now), a throbbing sensation in my head returns. In the initial stages this throbbing on my right side of my face along with numbness bothered me greatly. After a clear cat scan and mri, I stopped stressing about it but it was still a cause of major annoyance. I have started to go on longer walks but I still tire easily. Despite being greatly fatigued all the time, the GBS made it difficult to sleep at night. I have just recently started sleeping better. Overall I feel a thousand times better than I did in those first couple of months, but it has been a very long and difficult journey so far. In that dark period, I have to say the ONLY thing that made me feel better emotionally was this discussion board, and reading the true stories of others gave me hope and comfort. I think otherwise I would have gone mad, and I am so grateful to all of you that shared your experiences. I know every day will make me stronger and time will help. I have come so far from that awful place and each day takes me further away from it, and I want to give the same message of hope to anyone going through it….hang in there, it will get better!!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 8:15 am

Thanks the encouragement. Much success in you recovery. For many even those with “mild” case it can be a long road to going beyond survival.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 9:07 am

girlster,

I had a “mild” case of GBS and the only thing that’s worked for me is Lycria.
      It take’s the edge off and I’m able, most days , to lead a almost normal life.
      If you haven’t tried it yet, I strongly suggest you do. Good luck in you recovery.

Todd

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 2:05 pm

Nice post its great to hear storries from people with all different severity levels of GBS it makes people realize that people can get this with varying extremes and there is hope and people that understand no matter where you are at with your recovery.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 11:57 am

just want to remind everyone that lyrica can cause gbs. these should be tried first; neurotin, elevil, topamax, lamictal, trileptal, & keppra. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2006 at 1:17 pm

Hi gene,

You need to open a clinic gene. Call it “The GBSers’ Common Sence Relief Center.” You just named 5 options I never heard from any doctor, let alone being told what side effects can occur. Take care. So nice to hear you’ve come so far and got most of your life back that you fought for. A true champion.

• September 2, 2006 at 2:06 pm

lyrica can cause gbs?! Wow!! What else can cause this. I have become such a paranoid that I dont want to take anything, touch anything, be around anyone outside of my home. Dont think homeschooling hasnt crossed my mind! Bleach and lysol are my new best friends, as well as Germ x. I know overuse can cause problems so I am careful not to create any super bugs. But hearing that a med can cuase this makes me really nervous. Yikes.