Ultram for CIDP

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2007 at 10:09 pm

Has anyone tried Ultram for pain related to CIDP? My Dr. just put me on 50 mg at bedtime. I’m still taking a low dosage of Neurontin (100mg). The Dr. didn’t want to up the Neurontin dosage. Does this make sense? :confused:

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2007 at 7:01 am

No Jim, it does not make sense. Neurontin last 6-8 hours and is designed to reach a safe dose of 3,600mg a day, usually in split doses, 100mg is nothing. It is for neuropathy pains whereas Ultram (Tramadol) is for general pain and is unlikely to help neuropathic pain. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2007 at 8:50 am

Jim,

I have taken Ultram/Tramadol since CIDP onset for non-Neuropathic pain. I don’t take it on a regular basis, however usually 3-4 times a month as needed. It is considered a Narcotic so there is potential for issues.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2007 at 10:49 am

Jim C – I’ve taken neurontin for years for pain — 1600 3x a day with no side effects. Neurontin is really for neurology pain which I have. I switched to lyrica a year+ ago, at the urging of my neuro — she said it was a “supped up” version of neurontin. Currently on 225 2x a day but am starting Cymbalta with a plan to reduce the lyrica which I think has caused me to gain weight this past year. Cymbalta is supposed to be “weight neutral” — whatever that means!!!:D

CathyB

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2007 at 1:34 pm

[QUOTE=Jim C]Has anyone tried Ultram for pain related to CIDP? My Dr. just put me on 50 mg at bedtime. I’m still taking a low dosage of Neurontin (100mg). The Dr. didn’t want to up the Neurontin dosage. Does this make sense? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Ultram was the first med that the neuro gave Frank, it did absolutely nothing to quell his pain. Then he went on Elavil and had to come off of it due to it making his body twitch beyond control. Last med was Neurontin 3600 mgs a day along with Darvocet and it helped greatly, but never took the pain away completely.

The Drs I have worked for always called Ultram a sissy drug because it is such a mild pain killer and said it doesn’t work for strong intense pain.

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2007 at 11:34 pm

Thank you all for your advise. I got to go back and try to get through to Air Force Medical Hobby Shop that there is still a problem.

Jim C

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Just a short note about my pain meds:
      3600 mg of Neurotin, broken up 1800 every 12 hours
      160 mg of Oxcyicodone, 80 every 12 hours

And if I miss that 12 hour mark, I feel everything wake up. Not a pretty picture.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 12:08 am

My PA put me on Ultrum. I looked it up on the internet and found that I should not take it because I am on paxil. nasty side effects. So pain is not under control with darvon and 3000 nuerotin. I’m always tired so I nap.

• Anonymous
      April 22, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Tramadol did nothing for me. Same with Cymbalta (unless one counts that it made me feel depressed, and the weight gain.) Lyrica did nothing to reduce my pain, but stole my ability to put two and two together– I was literally an idiot for the months required to give it a “fair trial,” and I’m still battling my way back to my previous level of brain function almost a year later (not everyone gets that side effect, just sharing my experience.) I’m on long-acting opiate (Avinza) and short-acting (Dilaudid) for breakthrough– it’s the only thing that keeps me from losing my mind from the pain, [U]and[/U] keeps me walking (albeit not far or for long.)

They even had me try lidoderm patches (did nuthin’).

I recently did a trial of Fentora, the new “fizz-tab” (the tablet is placed alongside your gum, between your cheek and gum, and dissolves there)– it worked wonderfully, more thoroughly and wayyyyy faster than anything I’ve ever tried previously (breakthrough medication, if and when it works for me, can take over an hour to take effect). But my insurance won’t cover it (they DO cover it, but my use is considered “off-label” so they don’t have to pick up the tab for it. And not having worked for over two years I can’t exactly pay for it myself… so, oh well. Just glad that the Avinza works.)