ugh….house full of sick people

• September 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm

We have a family living with us and as soon as school started they all got sick…even the 17 year olds 5 month old daughter who is in day care. Saw it coming and told them all to please use precautions and lots of hand washing, germ x, etc. I don’t want my own kids sick and I don’t want to get sick because it scares the crap out of me. And they are not staying in their rooms away from the areas everyone else would like to be. So instead [B]I[/B] am stuck in my room hoping I don’t get anything. BUT to fix a meal or get a drink I have to walk through the mucous and cough common area. Am I wrong to be upset? Am I completely over reacting? Short of wearing a mask what should i do? I truly am worried, my own kids rarely get sick and know if they do they stay in their rooms and i have little contact with them (sounds barbaric but they are also 17 and 12 and I do make sure they are taken care of). I have been lucky and have had only one incidence of sickness by doing this…oh and spraying lysol and bleaching everything. ARGH!!!! Looks like I will be doing this again since no one else seems to be concerned even though i have voiced my fears, explained what could happen to me, and yet common courtesy apparently doesn’t exist.

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm

This is YOUR home. You have every right to be upset with this other family. You could insist they stay in THEIR rooms. Or, to prove a point, where the mask! If they ask you why, tell them again. Maybe they just need the physical reminder that getting sick is a serious issue for you. My family still dosen’t get it and I don’t live with any of them and I didin’t get the GBS from an illness. I’ve also not been sick very often since the GBS and don’t plan on being sick very often.

I did spend about 9 or 10 months living with my sister and her children and had more illnesses while I lived there than I did the whole 5 years post GBS before that! Now it has been a year since I lived with them and I’ve only had an allergy issue, no actual colds or anything.

It seems that you will have to be forceful and extreemly direct with this family so they might understand what you are telling them. Wear the mask! When they ask, tell them, IN GREAT DETAIL, even, what it could mean for you.

I’m sorry they aren’t listening to you. I pray things will get better.

Tonya Correll
      GBS-May 15, 2005

• September 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I am new to CIDP. I see everyone posting things about worrying about getting sick. Is there an increased chance of us living with CIDP of catching sick? I did not think our immune system is lower than other people without CIDP. Isn’t our immune system just over-acting and attacking our nerves. We don’t have a compromised immune system do we? I was not told anything about avoiding sick people by my doctor so I was not aware that I am at a higher risk. Does everyone living with CIDP have this higher risk or only people on certain drugs for treatment like the cancer drugs?

• September 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Thank you for your understanding! I hate feeling like the crazy person. I did get my lysol and have bleach on hand. It may mean extra dishes for myself because I don’t want the others doing kitchen work, and i lysol everything they get near. The one girl is okay now, the oldest seems to have strep. O…M….gosh that scares me. I have my own daughter sleeping in the same room and am thinking of moving her into my office until the air is clear. I have her drinking probiotics and taking vitamins and washing her hands often. I did explain in depth the reason I am so serious and what getting ill could mean for me. I was pretty graphic and ‘worst case scenario’ but made sure the mom understood that when I got sick initially it was due to a simple day at the beach with my kids…not knowing that beach had just been re-opened after being contaminated. Just because the levels of bacteria are at a “safe” level, doesn’t mean they won’t make someone ill. In my case, a cut toe on a submerged rock in shallow water changed my life. If something that ‘simple’ can do that much damage, I told her to think what direct contact with a ‘Just a virus’ could do to me. She had been relieved when the doctor told her it was “just a virus” the kids had. Ugh. Again thank you for understanding and making me feel less insane.

Chirpy….our immune systems can over react to anything we get. Since there are known triggers to GBS and relapses, we try to avoid getting sick with those particular illnesses. But, I have read that even having dental work done can be a trigger. You eventually stop being overly fearful because you can control your own surroundings, but in this case I can’t control the other people and what they do outside my house. Seems that something is going around here in town because a LOT of teens are complaining of being sick with the same thing. Not sure about the lower grades because my daughter is home schooled and the other girl who lives with us has not said anything about her school mates being sick. I try to keep my own immune system healthy, but not over do it because I am not sure what having an overly effective immune system might do. Some of us get sicker easier, or at the very least when we do get sick it lasts a lot longer than it did before we got GBS. Others rarely get sick (maybe because we take precautions? or are just lucky or our systems are on high alert).

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Hi Fairy Odd Mother

Not to sound mean but if you keep voicing your concerns they are staying at your house the should be considerate enough to obied by your sitiuation & each time they would leave a room i would be right behind them spraying lysol. If they dont like your terms on what you want them to doif they are sick i would tell them they have 2 choices ….their rooms & use the sanatizers or you know where the front door is….
      Remember its your house & your health !!

I know when I get sick I get scared to deATH. !!

• September 14, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Hi istaroaz

I totally agree! Not mean at all from my stand point. And they got the message when I started carrying around the lysol and spraying everything if they so much as peeked out of their room. Fortunately we didn’t get it! I was very excited and let out a sigh of relief. Now that we are all on the same page I hope they will remember and be much more sensitive and understanding next time.

Thank you all for the support!

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I have a bottle of hand sanitizer at my front door.

I put a strip of Velcro up on the wall and stuck a small bottle of sanitizer.
      When it is empty I refill it.

Everyone knows that they must use it when coming in.

(Our house has been the local teen hang out for the last few years)

Knock on wood, it seems to have helped keep me semi healthy! 😀