Two years, wow!

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2007 at 2:09 pm

I just realized that it has now been two years since Nate got sick.
      He went in the hospital Dec 25th, 2005. He didn’t get to go home until Sept 30, 2006. He has been home now nearly 15 mos.
      Nate has come a long way but he is still struggling with the residuals of GBS.
      His hands are still painful, shaky and kind of clutzy at times.
      His legs are still slowly working their way back but there is still not much muscle development in his lower legs. They are still somewhat numb also.
      His Bladder is still not sending very many signals and that worries me.
      He still has a lot of pain pretty much all over the place and that good old depression still hangs around.
      He is still doing PT but they say they will not be applying for more after this set is over. I will be talking to our doctor about that problem. I don’t believe it is their decision to make.
      Nate can walk sometimes without holding on but not very much and not for very long. He still uses his walker most of the time and still uses his wheelchair when we’re out. I think it will be that way for a long time.
      His balance is still coming and going and not very reliable from day to day.
      Seeing him walk even a short distance around the house though is so cool. It was rather freaky to me at first since he hadn’t walked on his own in nearly two years. I forgot how tall he is. His 6’3″ body towers over my 5’3″ self.
      Nate is going to start classes soon, either online or at the local community college. He needs to learn something that he can do for a job later. He has not been re evaluated by SSA yet but waiting around is not a good idea.
      He sure can’t do a physically demanding job now, so learning something that will work as a desk job is the only way to insure that he will be able to have some income that works whenever he can work again.
      Looking back on this past two years has made me realize that people are strong and can keep going in the face of horrible odds.
      Nate has come such a very long way compared to how he was at first.
      I know to me it seems like it just happened a very short time ago, but to the patient it seems like forever.
      Keep going, don’t give up. Don’t give in to the pain, the disability or the depression of GBS. Time, work and not giving up will get you through.
      It does get better, it just takes awhile.
      Happy Holidays, from Nate, Trudy, Ben and Bill

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Hey Nate and Family-

Our story sounds pretty similar (although I just an average 5’10”). I went to the hospital on December 23rd, 2005. I was diagnosed that day, and started my incredible journey. I was in the Hospital, SNFs, Assisted Living Facilities and a Board and Care, until October 8, 2006, when I moved into a house with an assistant. I am fortunate today that I can walk, with Ankle-Foot Orthotics, and I am working almost full-time. I’m having a hard time with my hands, and still do not have any fine motorskills,but I have learned to do anything I need independently.

Are you guys going to Chicago in November? Where do you live now?

Anyhow, take care, and keep the chin WAYYYYYYY UPP!!!!

Dave

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2008 at 10:23 pm

I’m very happy to hear that things are moving forward for your son and family. Your son Is very blessed to have you.

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2008 at 11:16 pm

It has been 2 years and 2 months for me. I am doing great now! I still have many of the residuals that you have but I am in no pain that I have to take meds for. I still go to too many doctors to let them see how I am doing. My eyes are still improving. I am able to walk without a cane most of the time. I do take it with me when it is going to be a long day or is windy. Also when I travel I am going to take my wheel chair. I would like to attend the event in November. That is my goal for this year! I hope that everyone continues to improve! It is a slow struggle and frustrating! But being on life support was no fun. But that reminds me how bad I really was and now I look at how much I have improved and I am grateful. I still have a long way to go with staminia and returning to work is not even a thought yet. I am not able to do most of my house work yet due to my poor strenght but that has come from zero to where I can do alot for myself now! I still have that to work on! I celebrated when I could carry my laundry basket around and lift a gallon of milk. I continue to exercise on my level and keep things moving. Balance is good and the rehab pool helped with that. The wind is taking it to a greater level with the gravity and wind it is a scarey battle. I slipped on a wet floor on a rainy day at a resturant. When I went down my leg was too weak to control the slide and it happened too fast. The other leg held and I went down to one knee with my hand on the handle of the door. Out of embarrassment I stood up faster than I have ever stood up! I laughed it off and warned people entering that the floor was wet and slippy. It took me 5 minutes to settle my neighbor down from her panic of my acrobatics! Geesh it was no big deal! My rehab doctor told me falling trying to learn to walk again is go big deal. Look how many times toddlers fall! I have fell three times since GBS. I hope this is the last! Once at the rehab facility, once at home in the bathroom on the bathroom scale that slid on the floor and now at the resturant! When I get tired I stumble once in a while and friends just laugh it off by asking How long have you been walking. I tell them I just learned to walk two years ago! I still can not run! I don’t jump but I can do some dance steps. Be patient and don’t give up on yourself! Look how far we have come. Don’t loose your sense of humor! We can handler our new lifestyles!

• Anonymous
      January 5, 2008 at 1:02 am

I still fall all the time….maybe I have a shot at becoming President!?!

• Anonymous
      January 5, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Wow! Nate and family, you have really been through a tough two years yet your postitive attitude persists. That is very, very encouraging to me. Nate has been through much more than I have and I hope he gets better quickly (mind, body and spirit).

It’s great that he’s starting online or community classes! God bless you and your family. Nate’s story is one of hope and encouragement. He’s blessed to have such a loving family.

Carla

GBS
      Dec 2007

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2008 at 2:11 pm

I have since talked to Nate’s PT person and she is recommending water classes for Nate. She thinks he will do well with the warm water and the resistance it gives you.
      He loves swimming anyway so I think he will like the water therapy.
      He will still be going the same place we gio now, Sharp Grossmont in La Mesa, Ca so it will be just like the usual, very close by.
      I can drop him off and go to Walmart! My favorite store and its right down the hill and across the street.
      I know Nate still has a ways to go but I think he will get there eventually.
      He just needs more time and he will get there.
      Natesmom, Trudy