TSA and medical supplies at airport security

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm

My CIDP has been progressing after 3 years of staying level. My hands have gotten number but what’s worse my bladder seems to be affected. It doesn’t empty completely and requires a catheter 4 times a day. To use it requires application of a lubricant. We are going on an airplane trip to Michigan that lasts several hours. During that time I have to use a catheter with lubricant which I have to take through airport security. The lubricant comes prepackaged in 20 g foil packages. It is exactly the kind of consistency they are not allowing. I cannot use the catheter without it. I don’t know how to convince them to let me keep it even if I show them a letter from my urologist. I recall horror stories of disabled people being treated poorly. Any suggestions?

• April 2, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Hi Norb – I’m sorry to hear your CIDP is progressing.

I would think the best bet would be to call your airline & ask them. Then ask if they can either email you their policy or snail mail it. That way you can have a copy of it with you if you have any problems.

I have to say the weather in MI (where I live, at least) has been FANTASTIC! Emily & I are going for a bike ride wearing T-shirts – which is practically unheard of here in early April. I hope it stays like this for your visit.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Norb couldn’t you sterilize a small glass bottle by boiling it and then squeeze your aluminum wrapped lubricant into it carefully so you don’t contaminate it, and then put a face cream label on the bottle? Women travel with face cream and make up with no problems so you could disguise the lubricant that way. Then have some sterile Q tips or sticks to dip out the amount you need to put on the catheter so that you don’t contaminate the whole bottle. I would steam a face cream label off another bottle and stick it on your sterilized bottle.

• April 3, 2012 at 1:50 am

What about mailing the lubricant to your destination? Not fair you should have to do that, but at least you would know it was there. For the amount you need on the plane, what about putting the lubricant on the catheter and placing it into a sterile container. There is supposed to be some new program where you can pay 100$ and essentially be prescreened and not have to go through TSA. Maybe you could call the cust service of the airline you are going on, ask if they have that service or if they have any suggestions.

Are there any single use sterilized prelubed catheters available? There must be something, I am sure lots of others have this problem too. This just does not seem fair.

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions that helped me find a solution. Instead of contacting the airline or TSA I looked at their website. The packages with lubricant are only 3 g each and gels in containers with 2-3 ounces are permitted. Dawn, i’ll take enough for the flight and mail the rest to my daughter we will be visiting. Kelly, it’s going to be June and it should be warm then in MI. The idea of putting it in a face cream container is a good one but doesnt seem to be necessary. Thanks.

• April 7, 2012 at 12:51 am

looks like you have it figured out norb 🙂 Was just going to say if you had checked luggage you could bring the rest in there. Or bring your script and get rx filled when you get there. Sorry to hear your symptoms are getting worse. hope you have a wonderful safe trip.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2012 at 1:04 am

Thanks Lori, well I saw my urologist yesterday and he gave me a whole bunch of prelubed catheters. Since each has a small pouch with water he also gave me a letter to show.

• April 7, 2012 at 6:24 pm

good news norb :)—now go enjoy your trip!!! i was just reading through your rituxin blog recently. i am suppose to be starting it by the end of the month if all goes well with my insurance company. keeping my fingers crossed that it will work—would cross my toes too IF I COULD—LOL