Trying to get pregnant

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2008 at 8:24 am

My husband and I have trying to get pregnant for over a year now…with no luck. I was wondering if CIDP would have anything to do with that. Have any of you had problems like this?
      I also have APS which is a major obsticle when dealing with peregnancy. For those of you who don’t know, it can cause heart attacks, strokes, blood clots along with misscarriages. I have to take coumadin every day already because I had a DVT in my left arm about two years ago…that’s when they found out about he APS. I know that when and if I get pregnant I will have to switch to lovenox shots in place of coumadin. I also will have to do mostly bed rest the entire time. And I won’t carry to full term…I would deliver at six to seven months. I know, a lot of people think I shouldn’t even try to have a baby…but I believe I can do it!! I’m a strong willed person!!
      My doctors are concerned also because I have a lot of back problems that I had to have disk replacement back surgery for two years ago. I still have to take pain medicine every day at home. I take Percocet and Avinza ( control release morphine). I know that I can’t take those when I’m pregnant…I’ll just have to deal with the pain…I have a high pain tolerance anyways. I know that it will be hard…I know what I’m getting myself into, but my doctors kind of act like they don’t think I can get by without pain medication. I say, “Who cares what they think!!” I can do it!!
      I have also had problems with endometriosis for many years. My gyno says that even if you have the tinyist bit of it, you can’t get pregant. They just did a pelvic sonogram about a week ago and it turned out fine…but you can’t see endometriosis on a sonogram though. My doctor is talking about doing a diagnostic laperoscopy to take a look inside, and if I do have some growth, she’ll take care of it then and there. I’ve already had three laperoscopies within the past ten years for this. The only thing that my doc is afraid of is causing scarrred tissue from so many surgeries…so I don’t know what we’re going to do yet.
      Another thing is that I have VERY irregular periods. So I never know when I ovulate. The last one I had was in February!!! My doc has me on progesterone to help my periods start…but it doesn’t really work…it just makes me have major hot flashes…I hate it!! Especially in this 100 degree Texas heat!! I used to be on that depo provera birth control shot for years, and it makes you not have periods…so I think that might have something to do with the way I am now. But I stopped them about five years ago!!! So that’s why I was wondering if CIDP had anything to do with it.
      Please let me know if any of you CIDPers have had problems with preganancy…or is it just me???
      -Amy-

• July 29, 2008 at 8:37 am

Hi Amy,
      This is such a delicate topic, the most personal decision one can make. You obviously have many medical issues that foreshaddow a pregnancy but only you can know what you want or desire. I will try very hard to find this members name that I am thinking of, I think she was in a yellow insert of the foundations liason list. Her daughter has cidp and has somewhat of a disability in that she does use a wheel chair for assistance at times. She recently has had a baby. Maybe if I can contact her, I can ask her to speak with you, if you would like.

Do a search on cidp and missed periods, it has been a topic of discussion, maybe you could find some info in the posts that would help. Good luck in your quest for answers to your questions.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2008 at 12:18 pm

I have endometriosis as well. It can make getting pregnant difficult but your dr is wrong in that it doesn’t prevent pregnancy. I’ve had 2 surgeries – 7 months apart for my endometriosis. There are about 14 dr’s across the US who specialize in treating endometriosis. You can do a Google search, I’m sure, to see if you can find one near you. I think there is one in Texas, if I remember correctly.

I also have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) that can sometimes cause women to not have periods. You should ask to be checked for this. Many women with endo also have it. It does make it harder to get pregnant because you don’t know when you are ovulating or you just don’t ovulate at all.

Deciding to have a child is a very personal decision. I can’t imagine trying to make it on top of having your health problems. I will tell you that my best friend has had 2 pregnancies & she’s delivered between 6 1/2 & 7 months each time. I won’t go into details but having a baby that early does put them at risk for many health problems.

Good luck,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 4:44 pm

Sorry, I do not know if CIDP affects our opportunities to become pregnant, but it also took a while for us.

I became pregnant after an laperoscopy, I have heard that it often happens.

I just want to tell that pregnancy and taking care of a baby has been hard for me, but not as bad as feared.

Today I have a wonderful son on eight months, sleeping in his bed right now.

It may be important for you to have people around you to relieve you.

I wish you all the best:)

(sorry my language, my english is quite rusty:eek: )

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 8:29 pm

Thank you Dawn, Kelly, and BEA….I know that it will be hard if and when I ever get pregnant. I don’t expect for it to be easy…I know that I am not a normal person just trying to get pregnant. I already know what to expect…I have done a whole lot of research. I am a very strong person (you kind of have to be when you have to deal with all of the health problems I have).

Kelly, how do you find out if you have PCOS? I just had a pelvic sonogram and it came out fine. And all of my bloodwork came back normal. What kind of test do I need?

One good thing…I just started a period!!!! Fisrt one since February!!!! Yay!!!

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2008 at 12:53 am

Here’s a link to a Google search that I did on PCOS. I’m sure you’ll find whatever you want to know there.

[url]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PCOS&btnG=Google+Search[/url]

I know that you are strong & having an illness makes you even stronger, but honestly, having a baby that early is a hard thing to go through. I know what it’s like to desire to carry a child & to have a baby. I just really hope you know exactly what you are getting into by getting pregnant. I know what my friend went through & at the end of the pregnancy you don’t always end up with a baby.

Good luck,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2008 at 8:01 pm

Kelly,

Yes, I know what I am getting myself into. It’s not like my husband and I just made this decision overnight to have a baby no matter what the consequences. We made the decision over a year ago and have been trying ever since. We have done a lot of research on what I have and what that could do to a baby or to me if and when I get pregant. I have consulted all of my doctors, and they are all behind me. I know what I am doing. I know that there is a large chance that I may lose the baby or other things, but I am still going to try. There are people worse off than me that have babies all of the time…so it is possible. -Amy-

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Good Luck Amy. I hope it works for you and your family.
      God Bless. tim

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2008 at 7:35 pm

Amy, I hope you find what you are looking for. I am glad you are working with a set of doctors you trust and I hope they can keep you and the baby both safe and alive.

We all must make our own decisions. Based on the information we have and our life experiences, we would all choose differently. I may not think for me, if I were in your shoes, that this would be a good idea, but I’ve had four children and based on that experience I apply that to my current decision. You may not have that same experience so you will use what information you can gather to make an informed decision. There is really no right or wrong here. You must do what feels right for you.

I wish you well on this journey. I hope your dreams come true. Take care.

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Thank you Tim and Janet for your words of encouragement…I really needed to hear that. -Amy-

• August 11, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Hi Amy,
      Any luck yet, did aunt flow visit again this month? Were you interested in me finding the lady who’s daughter w/cidp had a baby. She is really nice and I am sure would talk to you. She helped me so much when Kevie was first dx. Her daughter was something like 12 or so when dx and is now 23-25? Good luck!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2008 at 3:29 am

Being younger in my days I was Miss Fertile Myrtle. I did lose 3 babies though and that broke my heart. But I had 3 babies also! 2 daughters, 1 son all grown now and married except for 1. 2 grandchildren and have two foster children. Really did not want anymore children after my 3 were grown up. But had a family member get all messed up and she lost custody of her children, My younger sister could not afford taking in all 4 children. So she has two and I have two. Sweey children though and they have adapted to staying here. I hope you get lucky and have a baby! Will keep you in my prayers.

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Thank you LindaH for the words of encouragement…
      Dawn Kevies mom, yes I finally had a period!!!! First one since February!! Lasted 10 days!! And I would love to talk to anyone with CIDP who has been able to get pregnant. I would really apreciate it. Thank you. -Amy-