Tremors arms & hands

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2006 at 3:07 pm

I was in the hospital for 75 days which includes my therapy. It hit me Nov. 28, 05 and I still have some ongoing problems. I have these hand & arm tremors to the point where I can’t pick anything up till it stops. They come and they go. I was wondering if anybody else is or has experienced this problem? I’m taking therapy 3-times a wk. and walking with crutches. My meds. are: gabapentin, blood pressure, and water pills which I never took before this hit me:confused I had it pretty bad. I was paralized and was on a ventilator for 4-days. The day they took me to therapy for the first time, I was put in a machine to stand me up ’cause I couldn’t do it myself.

Ron

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2006 at 3:22 pm

Hi Ron,

My husband had the hand and arm tremors for a very long time when he tired to use his arms and hands. Then one day they just stopped. When he got very tired they would return and after he rested they would go away again. It’s part of the nerve damage and the muscles not being used or the muscles being over exerted, not really sure. Take it slow and that goes for Physical therapy especially.

Take care.:)

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2006 at 3:25 pm

Dear Ron:

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Arm tremors are a pretty common occurance with GBS. Mine would get worse if I overdid it in physical therapy or tried to do too much in too short a time span. Remember, you are overdoing it if you cannot fully recover your energy in 12 to 18 hours. If physical therapy is too much, let teh therapist know and they should back off.

Lee

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2006 at 3:31 pm

Ron,

Sorry you are going though all of this. When I went to therapy for the first time, they definitely didnt even try to stand me up, did they give you a reason as to why they tried to do it so soon. I dont know about the other members who were recovering from a vent and paralysis, it would be interesting to find out. It took me a while to work at my strength, to learn to roll on my own etc, before they even tried to stand me up. How are you with walking at the moment?

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2006 at 4:00 pm

I agree with Lee too much at once can cause more damage to your body or make new problams on top of what is already happening!
      Eryn

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2006 at 8:22 pm

Hopefully this will be a temporary condition for you. I experienced the same thing, but the tremors stopped after I had plasma pheresis for a few months. My nerologist told me has another patient with GBS/CIDP that had to have two brain surgeries to stop tremors (his patient was unable to feed herself).

Good luck!!!

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2006 at 11:12 pm

Hi Ron,

I have been in recovery for 2 years now, and still have tremors. They are not as severe as they once were, but are still very evident. My nuero is not sure what causes mine, noone else in my family shakes, at one point I was off all meds (which she thought may have been the culprit) and I still had them. Hopefully one day they will stop, just like one day when they started.

Take Care,
      Emily

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2006 at 2:32 pm

Ron,
      believe it or not, this can be normal. I suffered with it for quite a while. I have recovered now to the point that most of the time I only have tremors after I become physically exhausted. I do still have tremors other times occasionally, but patience must be excercised. Continue with your hard work and eventually it will pay off.

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2006 at 4:02 pm

Thanks to everyone for the quick reply to my questions. I knew I had some problem with the shaking, but I wasn’t sure if it was related to GBS. I do get tired at times and maybe I should rest more. Thanks again…Ron

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2006 at 4:09 pm

Hi Ron,

I’ve always attributed the shakes to our nerves and muscles having to compensate for the weak ones. It tends to happen when I’m fatigued or stressed.

Has anyone else noticed that certain muscles shake uncontrollably when you’re in the midst of a really stressful situation?

I had a confrontation with a gentleman who seems to get a kick out of allowing his dog to deficate on my lawn… watching me as I watch him through my window. I went out and almost immediately started to shake in my legs to the point that I felt quite unbalanced!

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 12:42 pm

Hi Pam,

I noticed that I do get shaky when I’m stressed out and tired but I also have it in the morning after a good night’s sleep. My hands are shaking as I’m typing this message and I’m going to probably cut it short for that reason due to making a lot of mistakes. I get the shaking through my whole body at times. I had them the other day when I was at my therapy session and I said something to her that I was shaky and she said she can feel my body trembling but said it’s from exertion as I was trying to walk with two canes. I also said something about this problem to my neurology Dr. and she said it’s part of GBS leaving my body. Can this be true?

Ron

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 12:57 pm

Hi,

When I was first sick, my hands and arms shook a lot. I could not hold onto anything very well and my food and dishes would go flying. Holding a sharp knife was dangerous. Sometimes my legs would jerk, too, but now it only happens once in a while. GBS affects the peripheral nerves, so our arms and legs are affected the most and the longest. Also, I would have the sensation of my entire body vibrating when I would lie down and I know several other people had the same experience. Just sort of shook all over. 😎

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2006 at 1:41 pm

I do not have GBS, but a “cousin” of CIDP called PDN. My kind of shaking is called “intention tremor” which means that whenever I want to use my fingers\hands\arms they tremble and jerk instead of doing what I want them to. This condition has slowly improved during the last year after I received Rituxan treatment. It is only a few weeks ago since I was able to use two fingers on my lap-top keyboard, but still I make a lot of unintended mistakes, and the most unexpected things happen on the screen while I’m writing, usually these things are easy to correct, but it also happens that everything disappears without warning before I’m able to send it!:eek:

When I don’t use my hands, they don’t tremble, but if I get stressed or nervous, the intention tremor also increases. Sometimes I feel trembling in my whole body, a strange feling of internal vibration, and this too in connection with stress or fatigue, both physically and mentally.

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2006 at 11:02 pm

23 yrs. post GBS and I still have tremors in my arms and hands on occasion : it’s always when I’m too tired or stressed. I’m really surprised they started you out with standing….. Usually its Range of Motion and Strengthening First to see what you can tolerate. Don’t be afraid to tell them your tired ; they need to listen. Unfortunatly fatigue is our enemy. So get your rest…. It will get better with time. Take care.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 6:32 pm

I had GBS in November of 2000, I have recovered pretty well except for weakness in my hand and bad tremors especially when tired or stressed. Doctors have always told me the shaky hand had nothing to do with my GBS. I was just wondering if anyone get leg cramps at night since GBS ?
      Jenn

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 8:53 pm

Yeah Jen we have discussed leg cramps alot in the old forum and also there is a post here somewhere too. If you can find quinine pills at your health food store or from your Dr. they work great for the night cramps. Tonic water also has quinine in it if you want to give drinking that a try first. Good luck.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2006 at 11:44 pm

Hi jerimy

Sorry Didn’t realize there was a disscusion about leg cramps already. It is my first day on this site and I am just so happy to know I’m not alone or crazy with my symptoms.

jenn

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 12:28 pm

Did anybody have an operation after recovering from GBS? If so, did it have any affect on your GBS? If so, please let me know ’cause I’m looking at neck surgery on July 11, 06. Thank you…Ron

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 4:06 pm

Ron,

I had two surgeries, both of them cesarean sections. the first was about 6 years, in 1992, after GBS and I was knocked out totally for them to do the operation. The second time was in 2002, and I had a spinal block during that one. I didnt seem to have any after affects as a result of these procedures, but i would in future be worried about going under again.

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 5:59 pm

Wow……i’ve had cidp for 3 years and weakness and foot and hand damage was so bad for me I was bedridden for 4 months after about 12 relapses. Out of the blue this Jan my hand tremors began, progressed over last 6 months to the point where I can’t hold a sandwich, a water bottle, or open an envelope. So bizarre as my strength is better then its been in 3 years!

The tremors for me are bad all day but slightly better early in the day. I never knew it was so common, my neuro even tried me on a parkinsons med which just made me sick. I believe its fatigued nerves and damage after so many hits to the body. At 45 I look like an old 90, but am joyful I am more independent in my home.

Encouiraged that some of you had tremors STOP!:) I will pray.

one day at a time…Debbie:cool:

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 8:35 pm

It’s no problem at all, welcome to the forums 🙂

[quote=jenn]Hi jerimy

Sorry Didn’t realize there was a disscusion about leg cramps already. It is my first day on this site and I am just so happy to know I’m not alone or crazy with my symptoms.

jenn[/quote]

• Anonymous
      June 23, 2006 at 10:10 pm

Hi Jenn, You’re not crazy with your symptoms ; we all have them…. This place just makes us feel a little less crazy… LOL

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2006 at 12:57 pm

I take Klonopen when I am shaking badly. It does help.