Treadmill

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I am thinking about buying a treadmill, I have had GBS since 1994, tried all kinds of pills, nothing seems to work. Would a treadmill work or help out with movement.

• September 13, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Exercise is important to keep our muscles strong, help nerves form new paths, and it does contribute to our overall well being. If your dr has given you the okay for exercise, I say give it a try. If you do not have a treadmill, do research, check sales ads, even check your newspaper classifieds and online local classifieds for well intended “clothes racks”. The classifieds will yield darn near brand new machines at decent prices, because people buy them and dont use them.

I am speaking from experience with this one for sure. I own a nice treadmill, not top of the line, but not cheap either. I do not use it. I HAVE used it and have enjoyed feeling movement and even got excited when I broke a sweat. It is easy to over do things on them and ya end up hating life the next day or so. I do, however, enjoy going to the YMCA. I like their treadmills and am able to do my workout on them. I don’t go as often as I want to because one day of a workout takes me two or three to recover. Not even sure I am doing myself any good but I love the act of moving and feeling alive.

Start out slow, always wear the emergency clip, and always use the hand rails for support and try walking for 5-10 minutes. I tell you about the hand rails and clip because these are vital to us. Our balance is not what it used to be and I found out I quickly get hit with vertigo if I let go of the sides (probably because I want to watch my feet move, not sure but I dont take chances anymore). When you feel up to it, bump up the speed a tiny bit. This may be a couple of weeks or a month, but you will discover you want or can move a little faster and with more confidence. Do not push yourself too hard, you will feel it the next day for sure (I once pushed myself to walk a 3.0 speed at a 8% incline and thought I would end up back in the hospital! It also put me down for over a week. I don’t push myself that hard now). Oh and when you stop and get off the machine, be very careful and use something for support. For me anyhow, things continue to move even though I have stopped.

Let us know how it goes and I am sure others will post info here too.

~Lori

ps have you tried alpha lipoic acid? When I take it, my nerves seem to calm down a bit. It is listed for use in diabetic neuropathy patients. I can only take it in the morning because it really helps with energy levels too.

• September 13, 2009 at 4:51 pm

My CIDP has left me using a walker.
      I wanted to try out a tread mill before I bought one. I am fortunate that we have a treadmill on my property in the exercise room. It’s free.
      I fell down on the treadmill after a fews days of sessions. I fell down because I revved up the speed and I was wearing crocs. I needed to wear my walking shoes and go more slowly.
      I’m glad I learned a good lesson and I’m glad I tried out the tread mill before investing in one. I would feel comfortable owning one someday.
      If someone can take to you a YMCA or even a store where they sell treadmills then you can try one out before you spend all that money. You can try out and test as much as you want and then you will know if you are comfortable on the treadmill. Also check with your doctor.
      I use the bicycle in the exercise room and I take very long walks with my walker and use my walker to go shopping.

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Hi Candyman: Not sure what you mean when you say you have had GBS for so long-do you mean the residuals? Do you have residual pain or weakness? I have residual pain so treadmills and other such devices (or even walking) causes my pain to flare so badly I am on my back for the next two days. I do find that I can walk a lot in water and try to get my exercise doing water walking. Even there I have to be careful and not over do, but it is good exercise for me. As the others have said, try one out first and see how you do. Good luck.
      Jeff

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2009 at 10:20 am

after all the reply,I rented a treadmill from a rental co.after 5 mintues on the machine I was wasted.I was looking for my sofa.I got dizzy,legs hurt more than before.I got lightheadness.buying a treadmll is not the way to go.I like to thank the forum & an everone that reply. 🙂 candyman

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2009 at 7:48 pm

umm i use a treadmill a few times a week but for building endurance try a stationary bike maybe from a garage sale u can get one really cheap and if you get tired you just slow down and no chances of having accidents. hope that helps