Trauma, anyone?

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Hi New Family! I am curious to find out if anyone experienced trauma prior to CIDP symptoms. I’m trying to figure out the commonality – there’s got to be something! I read some threads about getting flu shots prior to symptoms but nothing about broken bones, accidents, bumps and bruises, etc. I hurt my back and went for chiropractic adjustments and started almost immediately getting weak and falling. Broke my ankle and really got symptomatic that ultimately resulted in IVIG. Anybody else have similar stories? Maybe together we can figure this out! Good luck and best of health!

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2007 at 7:42 pm

Hi there DeDe, trauma would definetely stress the body just like a flu, infection, etc would. My trigger was just a flu/upper respiratory thing I believe.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2007 at 11:55 pm

I had been under stress, but they think it might of been a Sinus infection that was not bad enough for ME to go to the Doctors. It got better on its own and the GBS followed that. Ofcourse not scientific but makes sense to me! Did not receive a flu shot and watch my food is cooked properly like chicken and eggs. I had read that cats and dogs and birds can carry something that people can catch and that could lead to GBS. I do have those pets. They were most of the inspiration to get home quickly! Not to mention to take some of the work from my caregivers and their support team that were worried about me! I had no surgery to trauma. I know this is not much help! But we have all went over this question many times!

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2007 at 11:31 am

Hi

One of our members who no longer posts here had broken his arm on the golf course and he started systoms of GBS the next day, he became totally paralyzed. I still don’t know if this had something to do with his GBS though.

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2007 at 2:11 pm

hey, time flies … i checked some old notes, and back in ’05 i pt a short online poll asking about stress/trauma prior to GBS onset, and of the responses were yes:no 4:1. of those who responded, 31 said they experienced emotional/psychological and 26 said physical/physiological stress/trauma.

it was not a double blind scientific study, and some of the yes votes were for both types of stress/trauma.

take care,
      ferenc
      ps mine was a motorcycle crash, which i still don’t remember – so i’d say it was both types.

• Anonymous
      January 22, 2007 at 12:20 am

I noticed several people quit smoking prior to GBS. I quit on 06/06/06 and GBS on 10/11/06

• Anonymous
      January 22, 2007 at 7:22 am

Deedee, here is no evidence of trauma as a pre-curser for CIDP. I suspect your history is in reverse, you experienced back pain (a common onset of CIDP) went to a cheiropractor who naturally did not make the diagnosis then your CIDP developed leading to ataxia (unsteadiness) you fell over and broke a bone. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      January 25, 2007 at 12:32 pm

DeeDee,
      I had GBS twice – once in 89 and now Sept 06. Both times stress preceded it. But the stress the first time was for a year and then major stress the week before it arrived. The second time I had major stress for 6 years with taking care of a sick parent, one year after her death, and then I moved. I had enough points for a breakdown. So my body broke down and GBS arrived. I broke my ankle the 4th week of GBS when it was peaking. We need to figure out WHY we get this because I fear getting it a THIRD time. I want to know how to avoid it. I am afraid to go back to teaching in fear that I will get a bad cold and get it back again. I have not been out of the house in four months and when I can finally walk, I fear being near people. We need to figure it out. Sometimes poeple don’t put down stress because it is such a part of our lives that they are used to it.