Transfer Factor

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2011 at 9:27 am

Guys, i’ve heard about medicine called Transfer Factor, anyone has any experience with this product??? Thanks

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

[url]http://www.transferfactor.com/us/faq[/url]

I’d never heard of it before reading your post. My first impression was just another “snake-oil” product–but I’ll admit to being a medicinal pessimist!

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for your Help, i am 7 years with GBS and have a litle problems in foot and hands, just weakness. But am ok, working, and will continue trying to improve. Thanks Guys

Transfer Factor

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Hey all – I’m in the middle of treatment but my Dad forwarded me some potential treatment info that has me a little intrigued… once I’m not so doped up on Benedryl I might actually understand more of it but here is a link to the Wikipedia article…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_factor

and the paragraphs that caught my attention:

[QUOTE]Since the early 70’s, transfer factor has been used more often than not successfully for the treatment of viral, parasitic, fungal infections, and also as an adjuvant treatment in [B]autoimmune[/B], allergic and malignant disorders. Its apparent success is of no surprise since cell-mediated immunity (CMI) plays a crucial role in the control of infectious, parasitic, and autoimmune diseases, as well as cancer.

Because the TF extract is usually obtained from the total lymphocyte population containing helper and suppressor lymphocytes, it acts as a modulator of the immune system. It boosts the immune defences when required, e.g. in infectious, malignant or genetically impaired immune disorders [B]or it exerts a suppressing effect on a hyperactive immune system[/B] when its down-regulation is desirable, e.g. in allergic disorders.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone understand this? Has anyone’s doctor talked to them about it? Is this like using leeches to cure a cold or does it seem like it makes sense?

I’ll be more or less out of it the rest of the week but I was sure I would forget if I didn’t get this out to you all. I’m curious about your opinions on this as it kind of makes sense to me in my doped up state. There is much more to the article explaining the hows and whys but I couldn’t make it through the whole thing tonight. I may have more to say later when I can digest it – and I think I will ask my doc about it too.

Julie

• July 30, 2008 at 7:30 pm

Hi Julie,
      I’m a little lupie too, I’ve got vicodin, soma and 2 morphines left! My back is out, hasn’t been since 95. So here it goes, luppiness and all. TF is a modulator like ivig, I think, they do the same thing, I think. the article also mentions t-cell receptors. I have been saying the key to something lies in the t-cell receptors. If we could just get your helper cells in the thymus gland to work properly, we might not have problems. That is what the ivig is doing, modulating, I think. So maybe some day, our own immune system can do the right thing itself and get rid of the autoantibodies (through the thymus gland via the helper cells) Hopefully with hope will be along and read this and clarify things. I want to understand this stuff so badly!!! I wish I knew how to articulate my thoughts into questions!!!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Dawn and Julie-I had ivig today too and tried to read the Wikipedia article too-was going to copy it and I just can’t understand it either. With hope-help put it in words we can understand? Time for bed….get ivig tomorrow too, so will try over the weekend to reread it and see if it registers.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2008 at 11:40 pm

All I can say….is thank god for you nurses here because so much of this is Greek to me!

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 5:06 am

Back on this again… the person who sent this info to my Dad has scleroderma and she ended up writing to the company for more info on how transfer-factors can modulate the immune system. I don’t want to quote her words directly since I didn’t ask if I could post them, but this is their response to her.

[QUOTE]Transfer factor has three functional components. First, there is an inducer fraction, a suppressor fraction, and an antigen specific fraction. The inducer fraction is designed to support the immune system in becoming responsive, specifically affecting the CD4T helper cells. The suppressor cells are a CDA (8) type cell and when you look at conditions regarding auto-immunity you have an excessive reaction against self-tissue. We believe that it is the suppressor factor that helps reestablish the balance between auto reactive and external reactive antigens, and so it is the suppressor factor in the transfer factor that has been shown to help a number of people with misdirected immune systems.

You may search on the following and attached resources:

A brief search of transfer factors on the National Library of Medicine’s PubMed service ( [url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed[/url])

Russian Methodological letter (Ministry of Health and Social Development of the Russian Federation “Transfer Factors Use in Immunorehabilitation After Infectious-inflammatory and Somatic Diseases” Moscow, 30 July 2004) contains summaries of studies done on 4Life’s Transfer Factor product and gives guidelines for Russian physicians to prescribe it to their patients. The letter has been compiled into a booklet and can be purchased from 4Life Research. We hope this information helps. Thanks for your continued support of our AMAZING products. We would love to hear your testimonials.

4Life Product Support
      Together, Building People[/QUOTE]

I’m skeptical as their response came across as more of a sales attempt than an actual medical publication – however I’ll probably do a bit more reading and will post if anything I find seems to make sense. Again, if anyone has any input/insight into transfer factors please share!

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 7:59 am

Hmm! I am totally lost on this one myself. Either my good sleep last night has put me a lala land or my brain today just don’t understand the concept. But interesting article.

• August 1, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Julie,
      FYI, transfer factor IS a product you can buy, so to some degree it is a sales pitch, not to mention no fda studies. The principal is the same, address the helper cells and the functions they are not doing. IVIG does this, they both are modulators, one insurance/fda approved, the other in the GNC category sales area. I really do think until the thymus gland disappears by age 50, years 0-25 being the most crucial, some where in the thymus gland and it’s function of tossing autoantibodies, is the cure to these autoimmune diseases. Until someone figures out what makes some peoples thymus gland malfunction, I think autoimmune issues are going to continue. Just my thought! As silly as it may be1
      Dawn Kevies mom