today I walk on just two legs

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm

My baby step for August. 7 months post Dx for GBS and today I gave up my cane, My guess is I used it as a crutch for the last month and just said no more. As of today I walk on two legs.

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2010 at 5:35 am

Harry – I am thrilled for you!! I remember well the freedom I felt ๐Ÿ˜€ It is good to celebrate the smallest of improvements. Treat yourself to something and don’t forget to tell us what is was ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• August 14, 2010 at 8:11 am

Hey Harry, that is so cool. Soon you’ll be asking the Mrs. to tango.

I know you will enjoy this new freedom and more will come. Cheers!

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2010 at 9:23 am

Harry, I am proud for you. Keep us posted on how you are doing. God Bless.

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I use my iPhone to access the board and it is not easy for me to post but I had to after reading yours. Harry this is a giant step, not a baby step. I really like reading posts that talk about healing and recovery. I think it inspires some of us to not give up hope of achieving that elusive “full recovery” that most of us have been told about. Keep it up my friend. I believe that you are one of those that will get there!

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Woo-Hoo! ๐Ÿ˜€ I am doing a “virtual” happy dance for you!

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Thanks one and all for the encouragement. So far, I appear to be one of the lucky ones and I keep posting so that those who have been are looking for improvement can see that it does happen. Oh and did I say I am working full time with just two half hour breaks during the day.

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2010 at 11:36 am

Congrats!
      Soon enough you will be running free and loving it!

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2010 at 10:23 am

Harry,

Great to hear you’re walking. How far are you can you go and is it outside of rehab? I go back to work on the 30th. How were your first days back at work?

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2010 at 11:10 am

Rah, Rah, Sis, Boom, Bah!!!! Yea Brother…Keep up the positive ‘tude!!!!

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Yay Harry…great news!!

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm

[QUOTE=Mark in New York]Harry,

Great to hear you’re walking. How far are you can you go and is it outside of rehab? I go back to work on the 30th. How were your first days back at work?[/QUOTE]

Hi Mark
      I started back to work at the end of March but just at 2 hours per day. As of July I am working full time (9 hours per day) lots of walking and stairs. i take a1/2 hour rest in the morning and 1/2 hour in the afternoon. I found an unused office (cleared it with my boss) and close my eyes and listen to a book on tape. When I come home from work I take about a hour nap. I feel I have come a long way from my walker just 6 months ago. Good luck in your recovery. remember rest is our friend
      Harryb

• August 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Harry, I’m so happy for you! I remember you were one of the first to greet me here.

You are so fortunate to be able to work FT and have a place to rest during the day. I agree that it is important that we post the small successes that we experience so as to give others hope and encouragement.

I haven’t posted in a couple of months, but one thing I’m doing now that I wasn’t then is driving! It was only for maybe 10 minutes, LOL, but I rolled all the windows down, opened up the sun roof and turned up the radio…grinning all the way! SWEET FREEDOM! Now I can drive myself to get a burrito from Chipotle or a pie from Bakers Square or whatever else I get a craving for!!

Of course, I’m only driving short distances and don’t go on too many errands at a time (maybe one or two) because I still tire easily, but who cares! I can do it! And I couldn’t do it before and so I’m grateful for it!!

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2010 at 4:20 pm

[QUOTE=necey]Harry, I’m so happy for you! I remember you were one of the first to greet me here.

You are so fortunate to be able to work FT and have a place to rest during the day. I agree that it is important that we post the small successes that we experience so as to give others hope and encouragement.

I haven’t posted in a couple of months, but one thing I’m doing now that I wasn’t then is driving! It was only for maybe 10 minutes, LOL, but I rolled all the windows down, opened up the sun roof and turned up the radio…grinning all the way! SWEET FREEDOM! Now I can drive myself to get a burrito from Chipotle or a pie from Bakers Square or whatever else I get a craving for!!

Of course, I’m only driving short distances and don’t go on too many errands at a time (maybe one or two) because I still tire easily, but who cares! I can do it! And I couldn’t do it before and so I’m grateful for it!![/QUOTE]
      I still do not drive on the highway. Going to Milw. tonight maybe I will give it a try….or maybe not. Let you know
      Harryb

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2010 at 3:38 am

I find expressway travel much easier. No red lights or stop signs. I don’t need to constantly work my feet and legs to stop and go. Around here there are a lot of parkways that are only for cars as well. I drove into manhattan the other day at night and spent most of the time on expressways and parkways.

Enjoy some Milw’s Best brews!

• August 25, 2010 at 10:36 am

[QUOTE=Harryb]I still do not drive on the highway. Going to Milw. tonight maybe I will give it a try….or maybe not. Let you know
      Harryb[/QUOTE]

I haven’t driven on the highway either, just locally. Are you in Chicago by chance??

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm

[QUOTE=necey]I haven’t driven on the highway either, just locally. Are you in Chicago by chance??[/QUOTE]
      No, in a small town about 30 miles east of Madison

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Harry !

I wish I could be so clever as your other responses but wahoo! I am so pleased. I felt I had to give mine up when I started back to school – either a pride thing on my part, or it really made a difference on how the the kids viewed me.

So cool that you keep on posting and encouraging. You are a gem. We all learn so much from you.