– great food
      – usual enjoyments of such trips

Con:-still have GBS
      – uncertain that I can make it lakeside by myself, short but steep path
      – can’t stand sunlight or heat for too long so beach might suck anyway
      -cottage does not have comforts of home ie. cable, close shopping, my
      bed, internet, elec.guitars, etc.
      – drive 2 hrs. north feels daunting, might have to knock out with gravol,
      pain-killers, sleeping pill just to make it; back will be toast after this ride
      -great food and the fear of being locked into the cottage surrounded by
      it and the weight gain that WILL come fom this (I already have GBS,
      but now I gotta deal with will-power issues?)

Do I need to go on GBS family?

If you have gone through this please post a message:confused:

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2010 at 10:38 am

Husband planned visit and vacation from Ohio to North Carolina to visit Son and go to the ocean. I spent most days on the sofa, computer and in the wheel chair. After a forty five minute drive for doctor visit, the wait to see doctor and drive back all I wanted to do was get home and back on the sofa.

What should have been an eleven hour drive turned into two days. We left at eight one morning and did not arrive until nine the following night. Sounds awful doesn’t it! 😮

It turned out to be the best travel and vacation we ever had. (Husband retired from Army after 20 years, we did a lot of traveling.)

Husband took the truck so I could stretch my legs and put my feet on a small pillow placed on the dash. He stopped at every roadside rest for my bladder or sooner if needed. Stopped early for overnight at a motel with hot tub in the room. We traveled the same way the following day.

I enjoyed every minute of it. The sightseeing as we traveled through the mountains of West Virgina and Virginia, relaxing at our sons’ home on his deck, the foods he and his wife prepared, throwing the ball to his dog.

They took us to a beach at the ocean reserved for four wheel drive vehicles only, our son drove within feet of the ocean, husband and daughter in-law helped me go in and enjoy the feel of it on my legs. Next trip I want to sit in the ocean.

I didn’t miss those comforts of home.

Go for it, you will not know if you don’t try. Enjoy the family, food, deck and lake. Vacation is time to relax, enjoy and forget about those comforts of home.

Shirley

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2010 at 11:24 am

I faced similar problem when the family wanted to vacation in Hawaii. There was no way that I was going to sit in an airplane and fly that distance. At 5’18” (6’6″) I just don’t fit into the airline seats. After talking it over with my doctor she came up with a recommendation. Let’s just say I was a [B]very[/B] happy camper during the flight. The bottom line is where there’s a will there’s a way.

Your first pro was time with your family, and for my money that outweighs everything else. All the cons that you mentioned can be overcome. Good books, good music and good conversation can really fill up the day. The early morning and early evening are the best time for being outside. However I can remember from my younger days when we went camping in northwestern New Jersey I would always carry a 12 gauge shotgun to scare the mosquitoes away. You never wanted to hit the mosquitoes with a shotgun blast because if you did that would just annoy them and then you’d be in big trouble.:rolleyes: I don’t know if the mosquitoes are as fierce up in your neck of the woods. You might be able to get away with insect repellent.

Think about it and go over your pros and cons. I think you come to the conclusion that time with your family might outweigh all the cons if you do a little planning to work around them. So hopefully enjoy your vacation. Good luck and God bless.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2010 at 12:42 pm

so if you don’t get down to the lake so what, fresh air, a good nap and drugs sounds good to me. You have to decide on the ride though. Will the rest of the family go either way? I say your main decision is the ride. Let us know what you decide and how it goes. Harryb

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Don’t let GBS win!

Go and spend time with the family, make the best of it but go and have fun!

You can take comforts from home to make things go smoother (bedding, extra pillows etc)

An afternoon nap, read some books, play a few games.

I hope you decide to go and have fun!

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I was exactly where you are during my first recovery – but I went.
      I had to have help getting in the lake on our smooth sandy beach. Walking out into the water was more difficult then I expected. But once I got out far enough to get down into the water – WOW! What heaven! I was floating (sort of) the water was supporting me and I could almost forget the difficulties of GBS. Now, getting out was more difficult. After experiencing the relative weightlessness of the water, getting back to gravity was a hard return to reality. As for the rest of our summer vacation at the lake – it was just what the Dr. ordered. Go for it!

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I have to agree with the others…..go!!!

When you’re tired and need a nap, take one. Avoid surfaces and terrain that you feel may be difficult to traverse. Keep your pain meds handy, make wise decisions regarding your food intake, e.g.; portion control.

Have fun!!! 🙂

• July 31, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Alright I’ll go. I will let you know how it goes.:cool:

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Because you mite not be able to [just being cautious here] in the future! Go have FUN! Get wet! Laugh! Eat Sleep and do silly things! Sometimes we don’t NEED all the tech toys of cable and internet to just BE! You can’t Make it happen, but you can LET it happen. Soo. You won’t [B]know[B][/B][/B] until you [B]try![B][/B][/B] I do hope you try? And give all of us who live vicariously all the good details! 😉 .
      Onwards.

• August 1, 2010 at 10:05 am

Leaving shortly. My brother-in-law will likely drive me home on Tuesday.

Here comes the self-pity, but the idea of being useless at a cottage does not sound like fun no matter how i spin it. I understand that I can bring some comforts from home, but this idea is just not gelling with me. I’m just not a ‘sit back and watch’ type of person yet.

As well,this is my two-month anniversary with GBS and the honeymoon has ended. I am grateful that I can walk again (like C3PO if he got drunk) but it seems as though my hands will never return. I tried to play with my wife’s hair last night and still could not feel it. At times in the day my hands actually hurt more than ever even though they are a bit stronger.

I know, lotsa folks worse off, but I haven’t been able to register yet that my hands may never work for me again. I am grateful for the things I have and could spell a long list of them for you but am I just supposed to just quietly accept the loss of my hands as I was able to use them? This is really hard and will take time for my ‘power of positive-thinking’ self to get over.

Sorry, I hate dumping on people.

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2010 at 8:54 pm

You’re not dumping, you’re sharing. We all care enough to give advice. Go have fun & medicate. Traveling is horribly painful to me, I mostly avoid it, but there are some things I just won’t miss.

Love, smitty

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2010 at 8:27 am

That story sounds familiar. GO for it. I was on the beach yesterday at Galveston and found a shaded area so it didn’t kill me. Nice gulf breeze, feet in the water, a little fatique and a glass of tea. Was absolutely great. My wife didn’t even complain about walking me along the beach and me stumbling along. Cane isn’t to good in the sand, but had a great time. The drive was extremely painful though but it was worth it.

• August 9, 2010 at 7:30 am

Well, I went and was ‘able’ to survive.

The trip up was painful. However, what was worse was getting used to my in-laws (who I love a lot) or was it them getting used to me?

I LIKE my alone time a lot. It gives me time to hurt and be messed up etc. I get over GBS for a spell and then I am ready for contact. However, in a cottage that can be difficult, especially with ten people. This made the first couple of days awkward.

Once we all got used to my selfish alone time, we were able to have some enjoyment. The weather was pleasant albeit a little cool and the setting was nice.

I feel better being home where i can do more physio work and heal faster. GBS is not something i like to have around a lot of people. It is good to b e home.

• Anonymous
      August 9, 2010 at 9:11 am

northernguitarguy,

I do understand! I’m getting ready to leave this morning for 4 days at Crystal Beach (near Galveston). My daughter and several of her friends are going along also … otherwise, this is something I could not do on my own. I also think this will be a little easier since I am not dealing with in-laws. I don’t care how great the in-laws are, I believe that adds an element of stress … so, northernguitarguy, wish you could vacation as I can vacation! Because I really plan on “vacating” my CIDP this week – no matter what it takes!!!!

Fortunately I get along with all my daughter’s friends (and my daughter) as if they were my friends. We have a good time and even if they don’t understand my limitations, they accept them and won’t let me do anything! They planned all the food, went to the grocery store and plan on doing all the prep/cooking. My daughter wants to make certain I eat healthy to make up for the margaritas I plan on drinking!!

I’m fortunate – they really are all about making certain I enjoy whatever I can! I am constantly amazed at all the things I can find that make me feel grateful despite the CIDP! Wouldn’t wish this on anyone, but the family and friends that have stepped up to the plate for me on this make it bearable. I truly am a Blessed woman!!!

Well – wish me luck with the sand and the surf … and the stairs up to the beach house!!!!!

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I am now 5 years post my GBS onset. I remember my time in in-patient rehab. And I remember my time right out of the hospital. I am happy that you are out of the hospital at your two month mark. I was still in in-patient rehab in a wheel chair and working with a walker. Two weeks after release from the hospital, we were having a family reunion in a town that was a 2-hour drive away. I had my walker, comfortable clothes, and we stopped half way there so I could stretch my legs, because they were starting to go numb after only an hour in the car. But, I went anyway!!!!! I had decided, while still in the hospital, that I wasn’t going to let the GBS stop me from doing ANYTHING that I wanted to do. Even now, when I do something that I haven’t attempted since before the GBS, my body reacts weird, but I don’t let that stop me. I haven’t been to an amusement park since before my GBS and I am going to go to Cedar Point in a couple of weeks. I tried ice skating again just 4 months after release from the hospital. I wanted to see if I could do it. I only lasted about 30 minutes before I was done, but I DID it! I was happy that I had tried.

So, in summary, DON’T LET THE GBS STOP YOU FROM DOING SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULD NORMALLY DO!!! You will be happy that you did it, even if you have to modify the way in which you accomplish that activity.

Tonya Correll
      GBS May 15, 2005

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm

A change of scenery can be a wonderful thing. We used to go to Hastings, Ontario (Trent River/Rice Lake) every summer when I was a kid…it was wonderful. All I can say is “Go!”

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Glad you enjoyed your trip, & family!