This is for our newest members…

• February 26, 2007 at 4:01 pm

Hi all

First off welcome to our family!

Second, I am taking a personal poll and would like to know how many of you got hit with GBS between July of 2006 and January 2007.

Date you were hit with GBS?

Where do you live? (state/country)

What do they think started it?

Thanks!
      ~Lori

• February 26, 2007 at 4:35 pm

[QUOTE=fairly_odd_mother]

Second, I am taking a personal poll and would like to know how many of you got hit with GBS between July of 2006 and January 2007.

Date you were hit with GBS?

Where do you live? (state/count

What do they think started it?

Thanks!
      ~Lori[/QUOTE]

Date you were hit with GBS? 10.nov 2006

Where do you live? (state/country) Iceland

What do they think started it? Camfoilbactery

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 4:48 pm

Date you were hit with GBS? Dec 10, 2006

Where do you live? (state/country) NM, USA

What do they think started it? Flu shot

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 6:44 pm

date started 1/8/07
      live- Jonesboro, AR USA
      Cause- Virus 12/25/06 (but did have flu shot 8 weeks prior)
      Dr. Shawn

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 7:17 pm

Date diagnosed: October 30, 2006
      Live in: Warren, MN (way up north)
      Cause: flu virus while undergoing radiation for cancer treatment.
      I hope you will share your findings. Thanks, Diane

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Date started: August 2006
      Date diagnosed: October 26, 2006
      Live in: IA, USA
      Cause: No idea (some virus?)

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 9:25 pm

11/07/06
      California
      Surgery

• February 26, 2007 at 9:35 pm

Thank you for your responses. I am very very curious about how many people got hit with GBS during the past few months. I had problems starting in July (just about 7 months and a few days ago) and saw a lot of new members that are also new to this. I am hoping to put this info into a spreadsheet of sorts or on a map maybe. Not sure what I want to do with this info, but for some reason it seems important (close to my heart and a gut feeling. Call me crazy, but something is nagging at me over this). I think there are some children who have been Dx during these months as well. I’ll include that as well.

To the woman in California, what part of California are you in? I am in San Diego.

Thanks so much! I will let you know what i come up with.

Lori

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 9:55 pm

Lori,

I’m up in San Francisco, but originally from the East Coast. I’m enjoying the weather here, I was getting tired of digging my car out of all the snow banks. Although, I think the cold rain is starting to get to my feet as I’ve been suffering from horrible residuals in my ankles, feet, and toes. Luckily, the meds are helping a bit, but I can sure use some of that San Diego sunshine I’ve heard about.

-leftie (Noelle)

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2007 at 10:00 am

Good morning.
      I was hit in Jan 2007 in my feet. My Neuroligist said it came form the Flu shot. I am going into my 3rd month of recovery and have moved from a walker to a cane and now walking with nothing a little more each day. I turned my GBS over to God and found out life does get easier.It is amazeing how many therpist do not know how to treat GBS>

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2007 at 11:54 am

My husband 1/5/06
      Northern Ca
      Flu shot

• February 27, 2007 at 3:21 pm

I think I counted 6 or 7 new children to our family that fall within the last 7/8 months, plus the people who have posted here so far (not counting the early 06). Plue I know of two other people besides myself (dont know how many here or elsewhere we dont know about) here in san diego.
      wow

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2007 at 7:28 pm

For your spreadsheet:

Diagnosed 11/09/06 (symptoms about 4 days earlier).
      Indianapolis, Indiana
      Suspected cause Campylobactor. However, had a flu shot in October

Hoosier Gramps (Gerry)

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2007 at 9:04 pm

20th July 2006
      Queensland Australia
      Cause – either of 2 viral illnesses gastro 3 weeks prior or I think more likely to have been the flu which I had had for the 2 whole weeks prior to coming down with GBS

• February 27, 2007 at 9:39 pm

Date – Sept 9, 2006
      Location – Jupiter FL (near West Palm Beach)
      Suspected cause – I had a nasty flu the week before. The flu seemed to be getting better and then got worse and I started going numb. Collapsed that night.

• Anonymous
      February 28, 2007 at 9:21 pm

Date you were hit with GBS? Feb. 12 th

Where do you live? (state/country) Bloomington, IN but travel to the East Coast A LOT

What do they think started it? Sore throat/cold before it started.

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2007 at 11:06 am

Jan, 06 ’07
      oklahoma city, ok.
      possibility flu shot or minor surgery

Bill’s Sis-Peggy

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2007 at 12:20 pm

Dx. May 15, 06 (woops that is earlier than you asked)
      South Yankton, Nebraska (on South Dakota border)
      No reason, not sick and not any shots. This could be CIDP, not sure
      yet. New Doctor

• March 3, 2007 at 12:30 pm

[QUOTE=mochacat]Good morning.
      I was hit in Jan 2007 in my feet. My Neuroligist said it came form the Flu shot. I am going into my 3rd month of recovery and have moved from a walker to a cane and now walking with nothing a little more each day. I turned my GBS over to God and found out life does get easier.It is amazeing how many therpist do not know how to treat GBS>[/QUOTE]
      Mocha—where are you from?

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2007 at 5:10 pm

I am sorry I am from North Florida (Gainesville)

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2007 at 12:01 am

Mason 7/06
      Excel, Alabama
      5 yrs old
      cause ?

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2007 at 4:33 pm

Hi:
      The date is a little out of your inquiry, but close.
      Date diagnosed: June 24, 2006–Date of First Symptons: June 20, 2006
      Possible Cause: Sinus Infection with hard coughing
      Other Possibilities; 2 minor surgeries within 9 months of GBS, with 2, what appeared to be allergic reactions shortly after each surgery. First surgery I was taking Keflex and they thought that was the problem. Second surgery no antibiotics. Don’t know if anesthesia has anything do with the allergic reactions.

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2007 at 8:51 am

First symptoms – September 2nd

Admitted to a SMALL hospital on September 5th but they didnt know what was wrong with me. I was pregnant so they were being careful because my blood pressure was high.

Transferred to Neurologist at a bigger hospital and diagnosed on September 8th.

Possible cause – minor cold and then a cold sore??? but they dont really know.

Location – Ontario Canada

• March 5, 2007 at 9:01 am

Hi fairly odd mother!
      Kevin ten years old
      Dx. 10-06 we are still fine tuning dx. AIDP OR CIDP
      We think the origin was a series of three bee stings with in a 12 hr. period
      (while on vacation in South Dakota)
      We live in Downers Grove Illinois
      3-3-06 we are either having a residual flare up or cidp is back

• March 5, 2007 at 3:39 pm

again, thank you so much for your posts. I look for patterns in just about everything…sometimes I wonder about myself and know i drive my family nuts sometimes with my ways of seeing things and thinking….so this topic is fascinating to me.

I want to get in touch with neuro’s in different areas to see how many cases they treated/saw/Dx’ed within this time frame. Any ideas how to go about doing that without being blown off?

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2007 at 1:02 am

Date Hit: 12th January 2007
      Diagnosed: May 2007
      Live In: Australia (East Coast)
      Cause: Glandular Fever (Epstein Barr)

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2007 at 8:47 am

31st May 2006.
      Hyderabad, India.
      Don’t Know The Reason.
      Now I Am Alright Doing My Activities With Some Stress When Exausted Doing More Work.

[b]and For The Last Quote To Know How Many Were Treated By The Neuro Doctors, Ask Our Members They Would Have Asked The Doctors How Manythey Treated??????? Mine Was The First Case For That Year As Per My Doctor And As Per My Physical Trainer It Was The Second Case In That Year.[/b]

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2007 at 2:35 pm

Date you were hit with GBS? August 16, 2006

Where do you live? (state/country) Malta, Europe

What do they think started it? They don’t know but I think it was the flu shot.

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2007 at 7:07 pm

just wanted to let pdara know that my daughter lives in bloomington so if you would like someone to talk to that has lived with someone and how they cope with it let me know. she might be willing to share her thoughts and feelings.

sherry

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2007 at 9:20 am

diagnosed sept. 06
      possibly the HPE B. vaccination triggered gbs in me.
      Virginia

burning sensation just stopped, back pain easing up, working on sense of balance at this time, maiking progress everyday.

• June 2, 2007 at 4:37 pm

All of this input is very helpful. I have a map that I am putting dots on for everyone who posts.

So far there is an interesting pattern…it starts on the west coast in california and fans out from there. I havent posted this request on teh UK board and probably should for more info. This is based only on known cases that have posted their info here….for such a rare problem I have found a very large number of cases in the past year JUST from active members who were willing to let me know where and when and all that. 46 so far just from this board…out of 362 active members. JUST in the past year. may not be anything significant, but it is interesting to me anyhow.