Things are looking good.

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2008 at 11:00 pm

I posted this on the Success Story page a few days ago.

I was diagnosed with remitting/relapsing CIDP August 25th, 2006. At first the relapses were terrible. I was unable to walk, stand, feed myself, ect…….. I’ve been on Cellcept for a year and plasmapheresis treatments have kept me relapse free for 4 months. I think it is finally managed. My doctor released me to go back to unrestricted duty. I am a detective sergeant for a police department and I am on the SWAT team. I can finally do all the things I was able to do before CIDP.

I realize this is not the “all clear for life” success story due to the nature of CIDP, but as far as I am concerned this is a helluva success story. Taking Cellcept every day and plasmapheresis treatments every 10 weeks are the only real reminder that I still can’t turn my back to CIDP.

I pray for everyone on this site daily.

Thanks,
      Damon

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2008 at 11:17 pm

How totally awesome for you!!! It is such a blessing. Any illness impacts us life long but this illness in particular is definitely one that we can never turn our backs on. It is so great that you can go back to work. I wish you continued good health!

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2008 at 9:49 pm

congrats on your sucessful recovery

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2008 at 11:07 pm

It is encouraging to read such a wonderful success story. I am so glad you were able to find the right treatments to keep this illness at bay. I can only hope that someday all of us suffering from CIDP can recover as well as you have…
      Pam

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2008 at 4:17 am

Damon,
      Wow! Thanks for sharing your success story with us – It’s really encouraging. I started back studying part-time this year after a year’s leave of absence. I really want to finish my course, even though I know my future is uncertain (health wise) I don’t want to give up as I keep thinking this (CIDP) could go away (or behave) and your story is an excellent example of this! I hope you continue to stay well.
      Best wishes,
      Kazza (CIDP)

• March 31, 2008 at 10:05 am

I guess I just had an ah ha moment.* I never considered not having a relapse a mile stone.* I just figured since we have to get treatments it is still just this cruddy disease.* So thanks, you are right!* It is a wonderful thing, Kevin is improving, there have not been relapses and he is playing like a regular boy.* That is something to be grateful for, you are right, so THANK You for reminding me.* Now we just have to learn to manage or accept the reactions he gets with the ivig, if we could jump that hurdle, I think things would be better for Kevin.* I am so encouraged to hear you can keep up the physical stregnth required to be a swat officer.* That is amazing!!* I am somewhat relieved to know that people DO maintain their lives pre cidp.* I hope to take some stregnth from this post and remember it when I am feeling weak, or Kevin is feeling down.* Blessings for your continued recovery and journey!Dawn

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2008 at 1:48 pm

That’s great for you!

I think it’s important to remember that ANY step forward is progress!

It’s fantastic that you can go to work. And being relapse free for 4 months is great too!

My daughter has been relapse free for 13 months (KNOCK ON WOOD!). It’s a great feeling!

Good luck!

• Anonymous
      April 1, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Damon,

Congratulations !!

I am so happy for you that a treatment regimen that works was found.

Keep up the good work, and keep on spreading the word aboutCIDP and positive outcomes.

Dick S

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Thanks a bunch for the encouraging words. I still look at the forum all the time and still pray for all of you.