The Feet That Do the Walking

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Hello.
      I haven’t posted in a long time and only occassionally loged in to read what others are saying. Today, while looking for shoes I was reminded how long I’ve been walking with no change in the peipheral neuropathy and weakness in my feet. My family and friends of course remind of how far I have come since June of 07 when I was almost completely paralyzed though fortunate not to have to be intubated.

It’s just that the regulat kind of “flip-flopping” I think my feet are doing when I walk, and the persistant sensations of the feet seems as if they may last forever. I was forewarned by my neurologist that that might be the case.

So I’m asking for anyone to share their experiences with such “residuals,” and what you have done to help yourselves, if there is any help. I ride a bike to a part time job, so I have enough strength for that, and suspect I am getting stronger in the areas that bike riding helps. Is it about certain kinds of exercises? Some salves? Any useful literature on the subject?

Thank you for any responses, and God Bless.

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2008 at 9:29 pm

HI Dan,
      Mine just sort of healed one day..out of the blue I realized my feet pretty much worked again. They still have the terrible pain and tingling but unless I am extremely tired they now work pretty good. Don’t ever give up.

Take care

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Hey Dan: It’s pretty amazing that you can ride a bike. And in a relatively short time at that. The hands and the feet usually heal much more slowly so you need to give your feet more time. But be grateful for how far you have come and don’t necessarily believe a doctor who tells you it won’t get better. Nobody really knows but I would say that having come so far so fast you should keep healing and getting better month by month. When you ask about a salve, if you mean for burning pain there have been a number of other suggestions in other threads you might look up. Jeff

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Thank you for the encouraging words. Yes, I need to be ever grateful for the distance I have come, and remind myself too to keep woking at it.

Daniel

• November 17, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Dan, If you had physical therapy continue doing the exercises as much as possible.You will get stronger and be able to do most everything. My feet and hands still tingle – feet feel like bunched up socks – and there is some facial weakness. But I can walk and play golf and work. I am not taking any medication for GBS residuals. Good Luck.