The Advisability of Getting A Myelogram

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2008 at 7:32 pm

I’m an Mgus/small fiber neuropathy guy (SFN). When this all started about 14 years ago, it was thought that I had Arachnoiditis (nope, not a fear of spiders!), an adhesion on the spine due to injury (surgical or otherwise). While I may have the condition, it isn’t the main thing with me. The Mgus is the trigger for my SFN. I’m still not sure where I fit into the grand pantheon of all things neuropathic (CIDP? MS?), but I’ll just try to squeeze in between you all.

I have ongoing back issues as well and a neurosurgeon would like me to get a myelogram to make sure of what we’re looking at (he’s thinking a C4-5 fusion). In the arachnoiditis group, it was believed that myelograms, or rather the dye used, was a primary source of the condition. It was also believed that getting them subsequently would exacerbate the condition.

I wonder if the same thing is true of GBS/CIDP and related conditions? Anyone have any experience with this? I’d sure appreciate your feedback. Thanks so much!

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Doesn’t look like there’s anyone who can offer up any experience on this front, so it probably makes sense to delete it? Thanks to all who took a look, though! 🙂