TB skin test

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2010 at 12:25 am

Does anyone know if it’s safe to get a TB skin test if one has CIDP? I asked my doctor, but he hasnt gotten back to me yet.

• April 23, 2010 at 8:39 am

Sorry, no clue. They used to just use this plastic apparatus and do it on the top layer of skin. Now they use a needle and go under the skin. I imagine it is no big deal, it is not as if they are injecting a bunch of the antigen into your veins, but I really have no idea. Does your doc suspect you have it? I wonder if an x-ray could at least show something in the lungs and if there was something, then maybe do the test to rule it out? Good luck, if you find out the answer, could you post it? It would be good to know in case others have that question down the road. Best of luck.

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2010 at 9:43 pm

IF you show up with an ‘immune’ reaction on the testing, it mite not be the TB but something else? I do know the test is relatively tame compared to many…They do a skin test on the arm, wait some days and see how ‘red’ you are? But, if on IVIG, lots of blood tests can be totally out of whack IF you get tested right after infusions… You’ve got lots of other stuff pumped into you that can skew numbers… I always try and get doc orders to get tests the DAY BEFORE my infusions…as my immune system will be at it’s lowest at that point, and provide a more clear picture of what’s IN my blood at the most acute time.
      As for the test itself? There can be false positives, I believe and I’d research out that aspect if I were you. As for real positives? Some TB strains are resistant now, I’ve known folks who got them…it is NOT pleasant and a tough thing to get thru. I sure hope that you don’t have THAT! 😮

Crossing my fingers and legs [toes don’t work] that it isn’t the resistant type IF it even is TB! My heart is with you on this issue… It’s even worse than CIDP! Which we all know…is a vacation? NOT!