t-cell info

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2010 at 11:07 am

[I]I am not one to decipher this abstract. I am going to ask my neuro about it. Occasionally there are articles that speak of T-Cells. This one seems interesting.

T-cells first came into my consciousness in relation to a good friend who had AIDS.[/I]

[COLOR=”Navy”]Centre for Clinical Research, The Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, The University of Queensland, Herston Road, Herston, Queensland 4029, Australia

Received 8 April 2009; accepted 6 July 2009. Available online 25 January 2010.

Abstract
      Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) is an acquired demyelinating neuropathy, characterized by infiltration of peripheral nerves with macrophages and T cells. There have been reports of antibodies to glycolipids in GBS. We have previously found T cell reactivity to glycolipids in patients with the demyelinating form of GBS. This study was performed to characterize the cytokines produced by these T cells. Peripheral blood lymphocytes from patients with GBS, chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy, healthy control patients and other neuropathies were incubated with the ganglioside GM1 and transferred to enzyme-linked immunospot plates. The average number per well of spot-forming cells (SFC) in the absence of antigen was counted. The average spontaneous SFC number was subtracted from the average SFC number in the presence of GM1, to produce a corrected SFC. There was significantly increased production of interferon-gamma but not interleukin-5 in response to stimulation with the ganglioside GM1. This could indicate that SFC have a role in pathogenesis of disease.[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Hey Rocky,

Didn’t understand a word! 🙂

What about the “Mr. T” cells?

“I pity da fool!”

Sorry…it’s a whimsical day… 🙂

• Anonymous
      March 20, 2010 at 3:48 pm

[QUOTE=Elmo]Hey Rocky,

Didn’t understand a word! 🙂

What about the “Mr. T” cells?

“I pity da fool!”

Sorry…it’s a whimsical day… :)[/QUOTE]

[I]that’s okay, Elmo … “Mr T” tickles me, Elmo … oh, good heavens — I couldn’t resist!

anyway, considering T cells were such a huge issue for my friend who had AIDS ( past tense because he has succumbed to the disease ), it interests me to find that T cells have a connection to our disease.

and no, I’m unable to really follow it, either, but you can be darn sure I’ll be speaking of it to my neuro when next I have an appointment.[/I]

• March 20, 2010 at 4:17 pm

T-cells relate to all diseases. The thymus gland makes t-cell regulators that are responsible for killing off bad blood cells or autoantibodies. Autoantibodies are the bad cells that our body then attacks resulting in a disease, because the t-cell regulators are not doing their job. IVIG while it is a modulator, it does not modulate t-cell production (as do my friends you know who) but it modulates by adding antibodies, good cells, making less room or crowding out the autoantibodies. This makes less work for the t-cells because the antibodies over populate the auto anti. Imuno supp drugs are not modulators they just kill off the autoantibodies as well as antibodies, also in a way making less work for the t-cells. Certain protein production can increase t-cell regulators (my friends thus far, it would be cool if there were other safer methods) The only real difference between all of these diseases is where the attack happens is what disease that results. Just a quickie way to explain it in a few sentences or less.

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2010 at 11:00 pm

T-Cells are the things that cause all the trouble with CIDP.

T-Cells are the cops of the immune system. They run around and kill off all of the “bad things” in the body. Infections, viruses, and so on. T-Cells look for them, find them, destroy them and move on.

T-Cells have receptors that stick out like “ID Card” readers. These receptors “link up” to cells and the T-Cell determines if the cell is “good” or “bad”. In CIDP, the faulty T-Cells “link up” to myelin, and determine that it is BAD and destroy it. Then the T-Cell sends back signals that they need more T-Cells to destroy all of this myelin that is laying about everywhere. and then you have CIDP.

Some T-Cells in our bodies got a bad set of codes and cannot distinguish “self” form “non-self”, and therefore destroy myelin, thinking that it is a foreign attacker.

We also have “SUPERCOPS”, a type of T-Cell that can destroy another T-Cell if that T-Cell is a Bad Cop. The problem is, when CIDP gets going, we have too many bad guys, and not enough good guys.

IVIG loads our system with GOOD GUYS. Even though they are not OUR good guys, they still recognize bad guys, and take them out, somehow. That is how IVIG and CIDP works.

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2010 at 11:03 am

[QUOTE=Dick S]Some T-Cells in our bodies got a bad set of codes and cannot distinguish “self” form “non-self”, and therefore destroy myelin, thinking that it is a foreign attacker.

IVIG loads our system with GOOD GUYS. Even though they are not OUR good guys, they still recognize bad guys, and take them out, somehow. That is how IVIG and CIDP works.[/QUOTE]

[I]Yep, very clear and precise explanation, Dick. I’m sure some of the newer folks who are thoroughly confused will appreciate reading it. Many many thanks.

The whole purpose of posting the article was that there appears to be some work being done on that front. Helpful work? I can only hope.

Rocky[/I]

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Dick always has a way with making things understandable.
      He’s very smart and has a HUGE heart !

😉

• March 22, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I’ll second that!

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2010 at 6:16 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]and i’ll 3rd it…

nicely put dick–
      btw, in my treatment, my t-cells were killed, along with the t-cell factories making those nasty guys that have a taste for myelin…
      that’s probably why i keep on feeling better and better…[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Thank you Dick S, I actually understood that!

• March 22, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Short and simple. I used Dick’s T cell explaination to my son and daughter earlier today and they actually got it! thanks