Surprised on GBS Warning!

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2008 at 4:38 am

This week at my workplace (A retirement home in Australia) they are offering the flu vaccine to employees. One question on the companies vaccine authority form is Have you had a history of Guillain Barre Syndrome? I Know it is a side effect of the flu vaccine but was surprised to see it on my companies policy notice. Great to see a company taking note of side effects!

Debbie

PS I wont be having a shot!!!!

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2008 at 8:38 am

Debbie
      For the first time in many years of getting flu shots through the military, the question was asked,” have you or anyone in your family had Guillain-Barre’ Syndrome?” My husband was shocked that the question was ask. Mabe information is slowly getting into the medical communities, which is very good news. I was advised by several Doctors not to get a flu shot.

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2008 at 9:58 am

In Saskatchewan, it is becoming standard procedure to ask anyone. My son and daughter-in-law went this past fall and they were asked if if anyone in their family had it and were warned it is a potential side effect.

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2008 at 6:15 am

Shirley & Janet,

I think you are both right it is becoming more known in the medical community now. Someone at my work was filling in the form around the lunch table and said “I wonder what that is” (The GBS on the form). I told her it was a virus and she said ‘oh’. Then I went on to explain the full extent of the virus and how some people got it as a result of the flu vaccine side effect. She was horrified. I did explain that it was a rare side effect. I dont know if I changed her mind but at least she had a clear understanding of this particular side effect.

Debbie.

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2008 at 9:01 am

Hey y’all ~ I don’t remember seeing any scientific literature on GBS being a virus. I do know that it can be a result of a viral infection, ie: the flu. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2008 at 9:27 am

Judi Z,
      From literature I have read, GBS is not a virus, it is suspected to be caused from a virus. I’m sure it is easy to get confused with so much mentioned about viruses and viral infections.

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2008 at 7:00 pm

I’ve been told by 3 people who get the flu shot that it was on the questionaire for the last 2 years.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2008 at 7:26 pm

I do know that I explored the ‘idea’ of getting flu shots as IG living and other sources have recommended. What I found out is the following in a nutshell:
      The FDA and CDC recommend that those with ‘immune compromised’ problems should get flu shots, but only of the DEAD viruses. The treatments we get and live viruses could be not just a problem but life threatening. My dear IG pharmacist did a lot of digging to get this good stuff!
      I believe this is stuck into the very fine print of IVIG prescribing informations but I can’t tell you where right now.
      For each of us this is a personal issue. And a decision depending upon our lifestyles and potential exposures. Including many possible unknowns.
      While I have not this year, I do plan on trying next year. It was a bout of pneumonia that gave me this CIDP. And, honestly I don’t want it to get worse!

PS I’d not had a flu shot until I’d gotten this stuff? 8 months after I came down with CIDP. I got a shot -I had such a bad reaction to it that time, that’s why I’ve been both chicken and cautious to get another.