surgery in future

• Anonymous
      December 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Need to have that foot surgery in first part of j anuary. doctor says i will need to be off my feet for six weeks minimum. at that point will need to learn to walk all over again. Also surgry may flare up CIDP so i will need a dose of IVIG at hospital before i can be released. Am going back to Nursing/Rehab center i was at before. I am very nervous. My urologist sa ys i might have trouble with bladder because of anesthesia. Now hoping not to break my foot before then. Having a conflict…. My mom and dad are going to DC to visit my older sister for christmas and are insisting that i go. I dont want to go because my sister lives in a two story house and i will be sleeping on the second level. I am not sure my foot can handle the stairs. It hurts all the time now. I can barely walk. Not to mention i would rather stay and be with my friends and younger sister and her children before i have to go to the rehab center.(it is about 30-45 minutes away from where everybody lives)

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Just make sure your anesthesiologist is well aware of your CIDP. It’s good the dr is taking a proactive approach & giving you an IVIG treatment right after surgery.

As far as Christmas, just tell your parents you are not up to traveling. Call your sister & let her know you will miss her & hope to see her after your surgery. If they can’t understand that then I just don’t know what to tell you.

Good luck,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I agree…Kelly gave you good advice.

You have to take care of yourself and do what you think is best physically and emotionally for YOU!

Hope it goes well, — what is the foot surgery?

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Surgery is January 7th. I will be in the hospital for 2 days then they ship me to rehab. I have settled with the idea of the nursing home for 8 weeks(at least) I went to (am there now) DC. Sleeping upstairs and my foot is killing me. the stairs are really doing a job on my foot. Glad i got to see my family and the dog. But i am ready to get home. Foot surgery is… break the heel and reposition it Move two tendons from inside to outside of my foot to straighten it. off my feet for 8 weeks.

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2010 at 9:43 pm

My leg surgery 18+ months ago wasn’t planned and I could only STAND 3 weeks in rehab. Between the bad food and the boredom? [Don’t even mention roomates] I could NOT WAIT TO GET HOME! It was another 8 wks before given the OK to ‘walk’! Plus 3-1/2 months of outpatient rehab.
      Learn or RE-LEARN to use transfer boards from wheelchairs to beds or cars NOW! Web up ‘handicap transfer boards’ and pick the widest and longest and cheapest you can find so it’s ready when you are… [my first experiences we used an unused bookshelf- it would catch and pinch my skin big time!] That transfer board was an inexpensive and very useful purchase.
      Another thing to consider is that IF you are home and still confined to a wheelchair? Where is your bathroom? And can you either wheel or use a walker to get to it. Or get a ‘portable commode’-essentially an indoor ‘you-know-what’ so it’s convenient AND accessable to you. I live in a ‘ranch, or one-level house so I’m lucky, but the wheelchair doesn’t fit thru the doors to the bathrooms. Hobble hop and whatever are your options and they can wear you out. Essentially it’s that? And or Depends! Honestly I’m still not sure which is worse? This isn’t meant to scare you by any means…just to let you know there ARE a lot of options. As well as things you must prepare for ahead of time…
      Lastly? Call your docs Tomorrow AM ASAP and start with them about what PT you need in prep and immediately afterwards! While you mite not be able to walk? There are lots of ‘theraband’ and isometric exercises you can do to keep some strength and maybe gain more for when you walk again!
      Good luck and keep faith that you can and WILL get thru this! HUGS!!!!!

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2010 at 6:34 am

I would like to agree very much with being proactive yourself with keeping muscle strength by doing lots of leg lifts and stretches and exercises. Get a good stabilization for the foot so that you can do lots of non-weightbearing exercises without pain there. It is SO much easier to keep muscles than it is to try to build them back up.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Already adept at using transfer boards(donated mine to the nursing home i am going back to plus a hoyer lift) Went thru physical therapy to get ready for surgery and the rehab is ready to keep me fit. Only less than a week to go. Still not sure what to do about IVIG. Maybe take a hiatus. then restart when i get released from the home. I guess i am as ready as possible. I am supposed to get a private room this time. I hope that is true. I know the first couple of days will be very hard. Pain Management will be difficult. It will take a while to get acclumated to the staff schedule for meds. I am so worried about the pain. I hope i can get my pain meds when i call for them. I am not taking any now and should be because this hurts all the time now. Drs are really going to pay attention to my bladder issues as well. I will probably need a bedside commode. I have my own and will take it with me. Getting staff to take me to the bathroom will be slow i am sure and my bladder cant exactly wait very long. Will keep you updated .

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2011 at 8:04 pm

It’s best to keep on schedule or …who knows? I’ve found after several surgeries, [some of them LONG and invasive] That you may sacrifice some of your normal IG benefits to keeping infection and other evils away. Or, even just the stresses and traumas of surgery in general.
      I am hoping and more that YOU will get the better/best benefit of the IG on a consistent basis.
      I will be crossing my fingers and at times, my eyes [the only things that work at x-ing well] until I learn of your outcome. Just make sure you are kept WARM in the OR and after! Nothing worse than waking up with earthquake like shakes! Oh! And the pain-killers? Yes to them, but see if you can get pre-clearance for something like Colace or the like to help ‘offset’ the usual pain-killer s/e-stoppage!
      Most importantly? I am truly hoping that this surgery IS a SUCCESS! Thus once over, one less problem to worry about! HUGS and good things thru it all!