Surgery and CIDP ?

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2007 at 7:15 pm

Hello all.

I read so much here and like so many am so grateful for all of the information and support even when it isnt directly towards me. I am amazed at how we all are different and so spread out in the United States and beyond. To have such a rare disease that it seems like nobody knows about…and then there are people here, it’s a blessing to have this forum to come to. Whether I have a question or just reading about others…it sure helps to be able to ask things without having to explain what CIDP is !
      I wish we could all meet in person. Each of us has a story and puting a face with the story would be nice.

that said, my question for today is this…are there any precautions or advice I need if I have to have surgery ? I was told today that I might have to have a cyst removed from my ovary or the entire ovary removed.
      I go back on Monday to finalize things and Tuesday, I will see the nuero.
      The procedure will be done orthoscopically and outpatient.
      They gave me percocet for pain and I am all fuzzy and feeling a bit dopey. If my post here seems “off”, that is why. ô¿ô

have a great weekend everyone…and as always, thank you and peace to all.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2007 at 9:30 pm

Sorry to hear that you need surgery.

The only thing that I can think of that may be of concern is putting you under anesthesia. They really don’t like to do that with CIDP’ers because your body will be at rest & that MAY cause a flair up of your CIDP.

That being sad Emily has been put under 8 times in 1 year (4 times under general anesthesia) & she never experienced a flair up of CIDP symptoms.

Good luck with the surgery.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2007 at 8:03 am

Stacey Hello just popping in to see how it went at the drs and to see if you had your surgery and do hope it went well. Let us know take care.

• March 26, 2007 at 8:22 am

When I fell and broke my arm in 05 they had to put a plate put in my arm {I’m sooo gracefull, lol}, the only thing I had to do before surgery was stop taking the anti-imflammatories. Something to do with clotting. Other than that I had no problems.
      Good luck on your surgery!

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2007 at 9:43 am

I have undergone two surgeries since I was diagnosed with CIDP. There were no problem with anesthesia, it just took more than usual to put me out. Of course that might have something to do with my size. [6′ 6″ 300 lbs.]

• Anonymous
      March 26, 2007 at 10:25 am

Thanks for the info and well wishes. I go today for the final doc to say yes or no to surgery. He’s the one that will actually do it and from what i understand, it will be done outpatient thru a scope…so, that’s not so bad. The last time I had the “scope” surgery, I was pregnant the next month. The greatest gift in the world.

The only good thing about this right now is that the nerve pain doesnt feel so bad compared to the pain in my lower tummy !
      It was interesting when i told the ob dr that i have CIDP, she was like, “ok”…totally never heard of it. It amazes me still, that even medical professionals have not heard of this CIDP. And then, trying to explain it…I just wish I could tell them in a few words…but it’s not quite like that, is it.:rolleyes:

have a great week everyone !

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2007 at 5:59 am

Hey, I’m not too sure about precautions but I do know about having that surgery… and some about CIDP – but that is on the care givers end. I had 4 ovarian cysts removed and a dermoid tumour – oh and my gall bladder – all done laproscopic. My last surgery I decided to have the ovary removed. I’ve found that the problem wasn’t so much the surgery but the scar tissue left over (but that took a few surgeries to get), which has now been causing me chronic pain. I had been having a regular issue of having a cyst grow and more than a few wound up rupturing and leaving me hospitalized and believe me getting the surgery done is easier to cope with than a rupture! Anyways enough of that, reality is the surgery isn’t that major if done laproscopic – I only had two 1″ cuts when I was done (oh and a restructured belly button because they go through there too). The idea of going in for surgery is scary but it’s done on a regular basis. I haven’t had any major problems in the last few years but that might be because about 6 months after my last surgery my boyfriend came down with CIDP so maybe it was decided that I just handed the tourch over to him….:rolleyes: Actually when I had my ovary out the nurses had to search for my mother because I had become such a pro they were releasing me earlier than normal, which is better than my first opperation where I reacted to the meds and when I was coming out of my sleep I jolted up and threw up all over my dad’s good suite 😀 ! Either way take it one day at a time, prepare to be flat for a bit and if you have any more questions just ask.
      Rhoda