Summertime vent

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2010 at 9:24 am

Well, it is summertime and I have done it again. I am in crappy shape, I hurt all over, CIDP acting up, fatigue, fatigue, fatigue, personal tragedy, overexertion, too much stress, too much heat, too much work, what else is there ???

I think over the past 10 or 11 years I have told you all that I hate the heat in the summer. I believe that every summer, I have been knocked on my butt because of the heat and doing too much. I have tried to stay inside this summer, but one or two days outside too long and I am “out to lunch” so to speak.

I have been playing golf again. Well, usually 9 holes at a time. Then a couple of things happened to me. I played 18 holes on a Friday, It was really hot and it tired me out. Then Sat. I found out that my nephew had died in an accident. Sunday we drove 9 hours. Travelling is so hard on me anymore. He was 22 and the funeral etc was pretty stressful, then travelling back. Then work, which is part-time, had piled up and I had to clear my desk. Too many hours. That time rolled into the end of the month and all of the E-O-M paperwork involved. Then someone asked me to play golf with them. 18 holes not 9. I played. What a dummy.

All of that was two and a half weeks ago. I have spent the last 18 days in my chair, recovering. Just a couple of hours at work, pills, and sleep.

Right now Life stinks, summer stinks, work stinks, and CIDP stinks, pain stinks, and anything else I can think of stinks.

Thank you

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2010 at 10:17 am

Dick, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your nephew. How tragic! I’m
      sorry for your pain. You are right to vent so vent away, that’s what we are
      here for and if we were all there with you we would give a big group hug.
      The heat this summer has been horrible!! I have to do everything before
      noon cause I’m wiped out after that. Take care of yourself my friend.

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Dick, my sympathy goes out to you and the family as a whole. It is tough to go like you have and the fatique is awful. I hope you get a lot of rest and get back on track soon. God Bless you.

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Dick,

I’m so very sorry about the unexpected loss of your nephew at such a young age. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your nephews family as you go through this heart breaking time.

Our son lives in Wilmington, N.C. and has kept us informed on the excessive heat and heat index this summer. You have had it rough with heat this summer. Ours has been hotter than usual summer but nothing like what you have.

Stay in, stay cool and catch up on some well needed rest.

Shirley

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Dick sorry to hear about your summer. I am sure we can all agree that with what you have gone through you speak for all of us in that life can be even more challenging with CIDP and often everything lines up to really test our ability to survive!

• Anonymous
      August 9, 2010 at 12:02 am

I’m feeling the hot humid summer days myself just down the road from ya.
      This evening a neighbor and I said we could “cut the haze” as it was so thick and no wind blowing what so ever.
      I can’t seem to stay inside in this sunny but volcanic weather and forget how it will affect me later. That evening I’m writhing in the recliner saying what have I done again”
      Hot summers and me don’t get along at all.

In 4 months we’ll say where did the long warm days go. It’ll be so cold with darkness coming before 5:00 PM.

• August 9, 2010 at 4:33 am

Dick, I am so sorry for your loss.
      I am sure you will recover in due time and a lot the misery you are suffering will go away.
      You are very special to us on this forum and I truly appreciate the insight you’ve shown in some of your helpful posts.
      My prayers and hugs will hopefully heal you faster.

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2010 at 11:03 am

Dick,
      I am so sorry about your nephew, it just seems so useless when young people die, hard to reason it all out. I am also sorry that you are feeling so crappy, this has been a hot summer here in the USA this year. Now I must scold you; I have learned after 8 1/2 years that I HAVE to listen to my body or I will pay later. 18 holes of golf in this heat? I am ashamed of you, because you know better. As time goes by, we learn what we can & can’t do, & we just have to listen to our bodies. I would invite you to MN for some cool weather, but our July has actually been pretty hot. I do go up to our summer cabin, but I live in the water, doing water aerobics, or we take cruises in our boat to cool off. But we have no air conditioning up there, so the nights can be hot. Just got back from a 4 day stay there & today I will got to my water aerobics class at the YMCA, otherwise ataying in my central air. Not that many people up here have it, so I am fortunate.

I hope you will feel better soon, rest your body & stay inside for awhile. I care very much how you are feeling, but then you already knew that, my friend. We have a cold front coming in this weekend, want to come to MN?

• August 13, 2010 at 9:23 am

Dick, So sorry to read about your loss. I just lost my grandmother this last week. We buried her in Okmulgee (it was 108 degrees F). I had a plasma exchange Tuesday morning. We drove to Dallas after lunch and spent the night there. We drove to Okmulgee, had the service, then turned around an drove back to Dallas Wednesday afternoon. We drove home yesterday and got in around 7:00pm. (I’m tired).

I am glad to read that you are playing golf again regularly. I went out last month and shot in the low 80’s. My driver couldn’t miss and my iron shots were straight (distance control wasn’t so good). So I went out last week thinking, “hey, I’ve got this down again and I’ll post another good score”. WRONG!!! I shot in the 100’s. I was in trouble the whole round. I drank 3 bottles of sports drink and could barely lift my arms by the time the round was over. It was so hot and humid and the heat coupled with fatigue beat me down. I was a couple of days recovering. BUT, I’m golfing again. Sometimes its very good and sometimes I’m just enjoying the outdoors and being able to walk and stand and grip again.

Life is tough … CIDP S T I N K S !!! But God gives me the grace to live joyfully.

Maybe a different brand of golf balls would help me?!?

Gary

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2010 at 10:50 am

I was sorry to sign in today and see your post at the top. Excited to see your name, sad to see things are crummy for you right now.

So very sorry for the loss of your nephew. So young…it just never seems to make any sense.

I can 100 percent relate to your fatigue and the whole “what a dummy” ordeal. I do the same thing…always did and still do. Why- is what I dont know. I know that I dont want to give in and I sure wont be giving up, not yet, not now.

It has been a terribley hot summer here, too. We have been in the upper 90’s with high humidity for several days straight. It takes it’s toll. I definitely have more trouble walking around when it’s so hot like this. My office is hot b/c the building is old and it’s hard to regulate. I fell last week and really messed up my big toe. I had shoes on and people wonder how I did it with shoes ON…but I did. It turned dark purple and it still very swollen and sore. The Dr said it would have been better if I’d broken it. I know I fell b/c I was tired…from the heat, the stress, the job, life. And, b/c I dont wear AFO’s.

But, here I am. Still pushin on. Waddling around, limping. Gimp. That’s me.
      I spend all of my spare time at the pool. If I didnt have blonde hair, one might think I’m not a white woman. I’ve never been so tan ! 😉

Good luck and I hope things get better for you real soon. I’m so glad you are golfing again…try to take it down a notch to 9 ? Like you, I’d probably do the 18, too.

Miss you,

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2010 at 12:34 am

I am slowly on the mend. I totally plan to screw it up by playing in the Club Championship next weekend. 18 holes Saturday and 18 holes Sunday. I have been looking forward to this all summer long.

Now before you all cuss me out. This is a BIG HURDLE thing for me.

I know it will hurt, and I know I will pay a big price. BUT

This is one big step for me. This will be a statement to me that I will overcome one thing that CIDP had taken from me up to now, and that was Golf. I know I can’t play 18 holes all of the time, and back to back days really, who am I fooling?

But like Mt Everest. I need to do this.
      I need to defeat this thing.
      Ans if all goes well, I will shoot 159 (or less) for two rounds. That will average under 80.

The accomplishments for me will be: I didn’t play golf at all for 6 years, I needed to re-invent a golf swing to suit CIDP and my disabilities, I need to overcome the fatigue, I need to beat some other golfers (as many as possible !!!)

The biggest accomplishments will be making it all 36 holes and having fun with my fellow members and friends.

By The Way, I hate the heat.[url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif[/url]

Dick S

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I’m still trying to venture out in the sun & HEAT! I’m not taking the heat well. Everything swells and I get super grumpy!
      BUT IF YOU ARE HAVING SOME FUN? It makes it a lot easier!
      I believe you will WOW one and all with some of your ‘refined’ skills. Golf is a thinking game, as well as a physical? I suspect you’ve gotten the ‘thinking’ part down pat by now.
      Can’t wait to hear your good scores! YES! GOOD!!!!!

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Great big golf update.

I played Saturday and could not play Sunday. I am spending the day propped up in my easy chair resting my feet.

too much.