Sudden foot drop!

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 3:26 am

I’ve always been able to walk fairly well and especailly after treatment, but two days ago watching TV realized I had lost much of my ankle flex. Got up and realized that when I made an attempt to walk I had foot drop. Half hour before I was fine. It came on suddenly, and the ankle is swollen. Is this to be expected? Am I making too much of a common discomfort? Should I let my neurologist know? Thanks for info.

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 8:48 am

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]I too somewhat suddenly got foot drop. It is not that I had been walking well up to that point, but I did seem to get foot drop literally from one moment to the next.

I had already lost my reflexes long before so I do not think that is the actual cause, but rather the Peroneal nerve damage. Not to scare you further, but if it were me, yes, I would address the matter with your doctor. It would seem you are not progressing.

It is at that point, that I began high dose steroids and then soon after, Stem Cell Transplant.

Best of luck and I am sorry for your pain.

Alice

P.S. Nothing brought my ankles back until the transplant. I now run.[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 9:21 am

The same thing happened with my daughter. One day she just started tripping & falling out of no where. Apparently it was the foot drop.

She started IVIG & within 2 days she was running & jumping again.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm

This is such a strange condition. Today my foot and ankle are functioning better, although I still am unable to walk on my heels as I used to. I cannot imagine what is going on. I will call my doc on Monday. Thanks. My treatment is Plasamapheresis, and I have a combination of MG and CIDP.

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm

As well, have you been doing your range-of-motion exercises regularly?
      Ankle rotations each way, then up and down.
      You should hear the ankle bones pop as you do them; & regular r.o.m exercises should bring down the swelling too.
      Watch that you’re not overdoing your standing-up time; rest frequently, check your footwear for comfort, and wear foam insoles.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2011 at 6:50 pm

D.U.

Thanks for the R.O.M. reminder. I have really gotten stiff lately and although part of it is CIDP, I think more of it is lost flexibility.

I have been stretching my back and arms, but I forgot the feet/ankles.

Gabriel100,

yes, let your neuro know of these changes. Even if they are only charted, they will help the Dr. care for you and anticipate changes.

Dick S