Sponsorship!

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2006 at 6:06 pm

Having plenty of cheek, I’m going to ask here!

The UK GBS and CIDP Support Group have an ‘Awareness Week’ at the end of May.

All I’ve managed to come up with is a sponsored swim. One lady has offered to be lifeguard – which is brilliant. I’m asking around to see if I can get use of a pool – for free hopefully. As for transport, I’m banking on the children cajoling their parents into bringing them to the pool.

This won’t be a huge affair, I’ve not done something like this before. I’m going to put posters up in my lass’s school and hopefully some of her classmates will do it.

I’ll be asking the local newspaper to do a piece before and after the event, and our local radio station too – they have a country music programme and as Hook (a ‘previous’! member) writes for The BackStretch Boys – and they are apparently Country – I’m going to see if I can get one of their songs played and a mention regarding the GBS Group at the same time. I’ll have a go at getting the national radio station in on it too. All they can say is No. If I get the pool for fre, they would surely get a mention (good advertising).

If anyone has any ideas or advice I would love to hear it. See, I hadn’t thought about a lifeguard until this lady offered, so I’m wondering what else I may have missed that ought to be glaringly obvious.

I was thinking that it might be an idea to have a present or somesuch for whoever swims the most lengths or perhaps who raises the most money? I think the most money is the better idea because it’s not a swimming competition.

The other thing is, how do I get money out of the parents who bring the children? Apart from having a collection box?

Next thing: I’m trying to put together a letter to a local financial institution asking for their sponsorship. I don’t partiacularly want to go into great detail as regards GBS and CIDP – what I really want to do is persuade them to sponsor the Group. So again, all ideas will be devoured. I know the sponsorship I seek is for the Irish and Uk Suppport Group (I put it that way round as it is an Irish Institution I hope to get funds from!). But in my mind, whether it’s here, there or elsewhere, it’s still GBS and CIDP.

PS – Do I get the record for the longest post so far on this new Site?

God Bless
      Teresa

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2006 at 6:15 pm

Dear Teresa:

What a wonderful idea! If you want to get a gift to the top swimmer, I suggest you contact some of the local stores and ask about a gift certificate. We are involved with a lot of charitable events locally, and we have never had a store not contribute at least something as long as they are mentioned at the event and we provide them with a tax identification number, so they can deduct the gift off their taxes.

One thing you may need is to have parents of both sexes to help the younger children in the locker rooms. Our local pool provides swim lessons to the school children but they insist that parents help in the locker rooms.

Good luck with your event and I am glad you are volunteering to help out. You are really doing a good thing, Teresa.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 1:35 pm

An the “Prize” goes to my Dearest Friend TA for her longest post yesterday.

Yippee, Horray,:) 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 1:52 pm

Great idea Teresa!

How about working out a deal with the pool so that a percentage of the entrance fee goes towards the collection? While the prize is being drawn, you could have an empty collection box, monitored, for anyone wishing to donate to the cause.

Please let us know how it shapes up and turns out! Good for you!

Pam

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 5:04 pm

That’s a great idea Lee, thanks. I’ll see who I can possibly cajole into giving a gift certificate.

Fortunately, I don’t have a problem with chldren getting changed as they are unlikely to be less than 13 years old and probably all girls, as Sarah attends an all girls school. Mind you, if I can get a few lads to do it I’ll be quite happy to have them on board.

However, I cannot give anyone a tax identification number – cos I don’t know what that is

Dear Pam – you suggested “a deal with the pool so that a percentage of the entrance fee goes towards the collection”. Entrance fee? Enlighten me!

Think I’ve got it, Do you mean that, if I do have to hire the pool, the swimmers would pay their entrance fees? But, is it fair to ask the participants to pay, or ought the cost to come out of their sponsorship?

Supposing I cannot get the pool for free – I like the idea of the pool owners donating half of the fees.

I can certainly try the collection box idea.

I’ve just thought about a raffle for something from the GBS Shop – although there are rules and laws about raffles so I’d best check that out first. Actually, do you know what, I don’t think I’d raise very much at the pool for a raffle but I wonder if the school would host such a thing or maybe I could just ask people to sell raffle tickets (in which case, I definitely have to check out the law) but it’s a thought isn’t it?

Dearest Brandy – thank you! Anyone want a challenge?!!

By the way, I think I ought to say that I do not envisage raising a whole load of money but as long as some is raised and – I may learn a great deal – for the next time!!!

God bless

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 5:40 pm

Dear Teresa:

Maybe a tax ID number is just an American thing. If you donate to a charitable organization over here, the tax wonks want to make sure you actually gave something, so you can deduct the cost from your taxes.

Lee

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 5:51 pm

Thanks Lee – I see where you’re coming from. I guess if anyone wants that kind of thing they’ll know and also know what to ask for ( hope so!)

God bless

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 10:26 pm

Is it possible to get others that can not sponsor to donate baked goods for a BAKE SALE? Again you will need another volunteer to organize that table in the lobby. It is hard to suggest things when our lives differ from country to country. I don’t always use just the right words to make my posts clear to understand. Good Luck!