Someone Please Help

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2006 at 5:53 pm

33 year old male. Hello everyone! I am completely exhausting myself reading anything and everything online about muscle twitching. At this point I have diagnosed myself with ALS, MS and Parkinsons. I have never considered myself to be a hypochondriac but with everything that I’ve read in the last several weeks, it has me scared out of my mind. At the begining of Novemeber I developed a muscle twitch in my left hand between my index finger and thumb. This happens several times an hour and has not gotten any better. I also have an eye twitch that seems to come and go throughout the day. I have been under a lot of stress over the past two years because of a divorce that I went through. But I have felt this stress for the past two years and it wasn’t till recently that I developed this twitch. I do feel other twitches throughout my body but they are minor and it doesn’t happen all that often. I made an appointment to see my doctor and he had blood work done on me and also diagnosed me with Essential Tremor. The blood work came back normal but he has referred me to a neurologist. My appointment is still two weeks away and I feel so much anxiety and stress about this to the point that I am making myself sick. I was just curious if anyone has had this same condition and could offer me any advise. Thank you!

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2006 at 8:32 pm

Patrick-

First of all, take a deep breath and try to relax. GBS doesnt start w/twitches. Usually pins/needles (which, start to become like a painful pins/needles due to the nerve damage). If it was GBS, it prob wouldve started that way, not w/twitching. Your twitching could be due to just the stress you’ve been under. Try to relax until the neuro appointment. They will then prob run tests on you, and will be able to let you know what’s going on. Good luck, wishing you well.

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2006 at 9:44 pm

Patrick, I’ll keep you in my prayers. Doesn’t sound like GBS symptoms. I hope it’s just stress. There are people like my fiance who get the muscle twitching after having had GBS, so I know it can be quite frighthening. My fiance also just starting having it in November, so we’ve been seeing a lot of doctors this month and searching the Internet for answers. We’re pretty certain his twitching is just from residuals though, and he takes 325 mgs. of Quinine to keep it under control.

Best wishes! Please let us know how your appointment goes!

Shannon

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2006 at 11:09 pm

Where do you get that? I checked GNC and the guy had never even heard of Quinine.
      I haven’t had time to check the others out though.
      In Socal, we have Great Earth, Vitamin Shoppe, and some small independent stores.
      If anyone knows any of them having Quinine, let me know please.
      I’d like to get some for Nate’s muscle spasms.
      He tried Tonic Water but couldn’t handle the taste.

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2006 at 8:43 am

Just something as simple as too much Caffine can cause twitches. I am sure stress has to be a major factor! Take care!

Tonic water is carbonated water flavored with fruit extracts, sugar and quinine. It is also known as Indian Tonic Water or just Tonic.

The flavoring agent quinine is a bitter alkaloid from the bark of the cinchona tree. It is used as the base flavor in most bitters, and is also used in the treatment of malaria.

I have never tasted and liked anything that was good for me like medications. Add it to something to make it go down easier! quinine is used for cramps too!

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2006 at 11:15 am

large doses of quinine are only available through the pharmacy. tonic water mixed with a flavored beverage or orange slices, lime slices or lemon slices is easier to take. also my husband says cold tonic water is better tasting, and try different brands-there is a difference. melatonin helps muscle spasms also. as with all meds check with your dr first, to avoid any complications. lots of filtered water is great for spasms and the rest of the body.:)