Sleepy.

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2011 at 8:05 am

Does anyone fall asleep at the drop of the hat? All I have to do is get comfortable and I drift off. I’m too young to fall asleep constantly like a grandpa!

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

I never was much of a napper pre-gbs, however I find that I can doze off in the afternoon. It can get so bad when I’m behind the wheel I have to pull over. Red Bull can help if I must avoid a nap.

• November 26, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Mark,

I am kind of the opposite. Pre GBS I could lay down on the couch with the game on and I was usually out in 30 minutes or less. Now I can’t do much to sleep during the day even if i am tired. At night it’s another story, left undisturbed I could sleep for 10+ hours every night. Before all of this it was maybe 6 on an average day for many years. Not sure what all of this means but probably sticking to a schedule (which i am not the best at) and getting 8hours a night is a good idea.

I still get tired a lot (13 months in) but on weekends being a grandpa is OK. During the week pace yourself and an afternoon coffee or Red Bull is cool 🙂

• November 27, 2011 at 12:42 am

I also fall asleep immediately, and can sleep for hours if undisturbed. Too much, I think.

Here’s an example. I slept really well on Thursday night. On Friday morning my daughter was picked up by a good friend and her girls. I immediately went back to bed thereafter, and was out like a light. I did not wake up until my daughter called at 3:00 PM to tell me they were on their way home.

I guess this is part of the CIDP…….maybe?

This sleeping pattern is fairly new, though. Prior to managing the pain I would sleep no more than an hour and a half at a time. Maybe I’m making up for the last two years.

• November 27, 2011 at 8:18 am

Tell your doctor about this because it may be a medication that is causing this urge to sleep. OK? Always talk to your doctor first.

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2011 at 6:54 pm

My sleeping habits have changed over the years to where now I sleep around 12 hours a nite. And a nap is usually at least 2 hours. I think it is because with the GBS residuals our bodies need this much rest.

Since i recently got disability, I can now sleep as long as I need to and actually have some decent days.

Most times, I fall asleep fairly quick or else it is a battle for a few hours until pain settles or my mind quits thinking.

Sweet dreams!

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2011 at 12:18 am

When my family complains of my napping at family gatherings, I’ll blame GBS. My wife won’t like it though, she want’s this disease long gone. Do any of your loved ones also insist you to fully recover asap and permanently.

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Hi Mark: It took my wife and I a couple of years to realize things were not going back to “normal.” We both expected a quick recovery, thanks in part to the doctors who told us this would happen (one doctor told me I would be completely recovered within a year). When we realized this would not happen we had to look at everything in a new way-she had to do a lot of the things I used to do and I had to cut back everywhere. So yes, at first, my family was impatient but we talked things through as the process continued and they were finally able to accept that I couldn’t do everything they and I wanted me to do. I think the best thing is to keep communicating how you feel and try to discuss your needs with your wife, as well as being open to her feelings of disappointment as well.
      AS someone posted sleepiness can be related to meds. Neurontin used to make me extremely sleepy. If not meds it might be that your nerves are working so hard to compensate for the damage done to them that it fatigues you-in that case rest is really important. Thanks for your response in the other thread. It sounds to me that your recovery is going very well. Jeff