Sensitivity to noise?

• Dee
      September 23, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Hi – I am wondering if anyone else noticed their child being more sensitive to noise after GBS. While in the hospital my son had started putting my hand over his ear when he was trying to block things out (cause as you know PICUs aren’t quiet places) & it has carried over at home. It’s a way to comfort him that I never would’ve thought of before, so not a big deal, but I’m curious if noise sensitivity is characteristic of the syndrome (light doesn’t seem to bother him as much).
      TIA,
      Dee, mom to ds dx w/gbs 8/30/10

• September 23, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I am not sure about your child, but Kevin had migranes, and noise, sound even soft talking intensified them. Light was an issue as well. We still have those migranes almost daily. I think in our case the noise is what intensifies his migrane and that is why Kev does not like sound or light.

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm

thefirst time I went out to eat while recovering I was quite surprized how much noise affected me at the restaurant. I basically had to try to shut down to overcome the noise level. So I would say yes, noise did bother me. I am post dx 9 months now and still try and avoid noisy situations.

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2010 at 2:31 am

I’m an adult with GBS residuals. I still can’t handle loud noise. I avoid large groups of people as the “noise” tires me very quickly. And how I dislike loud noises – not necessarily loud to others. During my own experience and gleaning info from the others on this forum there doesn’t seem to be “any nerve” that can’t be affected ~ even tho the docs try to divide our nervous system into 2 parts(central and perriferal}. As you can see, my spelling is shot! and I use to win spelling awards . . . It’s not my advancing age 😡 I’m not employeable because I tire so easily but my memory is not the same. I hope that your little one has a full recovery 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm

My daughter had GBS at age 3 and was very sensitive to light and noise. It is really hard to tell with developing kids what is normal after GBS. I think sensitivity is normal.

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm

These are common problems; for most of us, sound and light stimulus is very jarring to our damaged nerves, particularly during onset and initial recovery.
      A couple of suggestions to diminish the shock, discomfort & disorientation:
      1. Ear muffs, ear-phone pads from old electronic equipment, or foam ear plugs (thrift shop, hardware store)
      2. Sunglasses, or foam eye mask (dollar store (looks like the “Lone Ranger Mask” except no eye-slits)

He could keep these things handy in a back-pack to use whenever he’s dealing with light or noise stress.

One question, you mentioned that your son puts your hand over one of his ears to block out noise. The other ear too? Some of us had initial hearing loss in one or both ears, so something to check out for his safety.

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I’m not sure if this is pertinent to this thread, but I sensitive to both bright light and high pitch loud noise. Low pitch noise doesn’t seem to bother me. I was diagnosed with CIDP in 2005 and it been ever so slowly progressing.

Of course I’m not a child even though my wife says I act like one. But the nerve reaction to both light and sound may not be a factor of age but rather a reaction to the damage done to the nerve.