Sciatica Pain

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2012 at 12:32 am

Has anyone here developed sciatica pain as a result of CIDP? I have been struggling with increasingly painful sciatica and was wondering if it might be the result of my CIDP, as I have heard such pain developing in others with CIDP.

• June 15, 2012 at 2:56 am

i have had sciatica in the past (but I also have harrington rods, so I have always atributed it to that). Since not being pregnant I haven’t had any sciatica, but I do get CRAZY bad shocks somtimes down my hips and usualy in my most affected areas. they are fleeting though, but painful!

• June 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I dont get actual sciatica pain but have noticed that on days when I overdo it on my feet i will feel the pain elsewhere, knees, lower back etc. I belieive it is due to the weakness in the lower legs, all these other body parts absorb the work and impact that the weaker parts aren’t performing. The cidp is an inflammatory disease as is the sciatica–maybe you have an increase in inflammation. Didnt you recently stop ivig for your cidp? If so maybe that caused an increase in inflammation.
      I know people without cidp who suffer from sciatica and they say it is extremely painful. Most of them are on powerful prescription anti-inflammatory pills.

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2012 at 12:15 am

I did stop my IVIG in January. I return to my neurologist on July 13th for another follow-up EMG/NCV and to discuss my condition. I think the sciatica is the result of inflammation. The question really is: What is causing the inflammation?

• June 16, 2012 at 12:54 am

auto-immune diseases cause chronic inflammation, longterm–not good for us inflammation. Then there is the good inflammation response, when the inflammation is part of the healing process. most likely those of us with auto immune disorders are dealing with the chronic inflammation. Have you tried anti-inflammatories. I have found when my knee or back is bothering, taking just the average advil dose (2 tabs) throughout the day, even if the pain isnt there, take it reguraly for a day or 2 to keep the inflammation away helps the healing process.
      I dont really know if we ever find out exactly what causes the inflammation, it’s the immune systems response to i guess whatever it encounters??? good question, I will have to check back here and see if someone who has more knowledge on it posts.