Schwannoma tumor?

• Anonymous
      January 24, 2007 at 6:30 pm

About 2 years before he was diagnosed with CIDP, my husband had a malignant schwannoma surgically removed from his spinal cord. This is a nerve sheath tumor that develops from the cells that surround nerves. So far, the tumor has not returned. Since this tumor involves the cells surrounding the nerves, I have always been curious as to whether it could have something to do with the neuropathy. Have any of you had such a tumor?

Also, several years earlier, he had a thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer. Have any of you had this?l

• Anonymous
      January 25, 2007 at 10:40 pm

Patty:
      My father had a malignant schwannoma removed from his spinal cord in 1987, in lumbar paraspinal region. He had had testicular cancer 30 years prior, with radiation. It was felt he had the schwannoma secondary to the radiation.

I did a research project in medical school on schwannomas, and they are rare. Often found in people who have had radiation in past- ie Hiroshima or in cases of thyroidectomy for past thyroid cancers. Perhaps your husband as in the latter category.

My father did have neuropathy, probably something like CIDP, but at the time (early to mid-1980s) we didn’t think people could get second primary tumors of any sort, and did not really have things like CIDP defined yet, as far as I recall.

I may or may not have useful information to give you, but if you care to email me direct, its [email]2sfm@bellsouth.net[/email]. Good luck and best wishes to oyu both.
      Sigrid