Saline and Gammagard?

• August 24, 2017 at 12:36 am

Started IVIg 2weeks ago. Due to difficulties tolerating, they have been spaced out over 15 days- I am to receive my 5th loading dose tomorrow. 20g each time and nurses are great about going slowly, starting at 10 then increasing by 10 every 20 min to a top rate of 60. Yeah, very slow.

I’m premedicated with 1000 tylenol, 50 IV benadryl, 50 po 4 hours later and again every 4 hours as needed, prednisone day before of and after. I still wound up in ER severely dehydrated from 2 days of repeated vomiting, passing out and 10/10 migraine. I did my best to hydrate but because of gastroparesis this is difficult.

Been asking dr to prescribe saline but he won’t. For last 2 days I am requiring it but haven’t heard from him. Is Gammagard one of the brands that can’t be mixed with saline? Could this be the reason? Or is it a pride thing that I’m taking my health care into my own hands?

• GH
      August 24, 2017 at 11:27 am

Are you in hospital? Normally, hospital doctors will order normal saline when they think you need it.

• GH
      August 24, 2017 at 11:52 am

From Gammagard.com:

Can GAMMAGARD LIQUID 10% be diluted to a 5% concentration?

GAMMAGARD LIQUID is available as a 10% solution. If dilution is preferred, GAMMAGARD LIQUID may be diluted with 5% dextrose in water (D5W). Normal saline (NS) should not be used as a diluent. The infusion line may be flushed with 0.9% Sodium Chloride.1

• August 24, 2017 at 6:00 pm

I am pretty sure one of the other patients I chat with at the infusion center gets a bag of saline before starting their Gammagard

• November 8, 2017 at 12:32 am

Saline before every treatment of gammagard and then a little after. Let me tell you, if they don’t flush that line properly between saline and IVIG, it will wreak hell on your body for weeks. At least that is my personal experience. Some infusion nurses aren’t aware of this. Feel free to educate them as you advocate for your own health and safety.