Sad Today

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 2:01 am

[SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Today, eight years ago, was the last day I walked. August 10, 1999, is the day Captain Dave died,and cripple Dave took over. A F’n surgeon did this to me. He admitted he screwed up, but got away with murder! Forgive me for being bitter today. I wish I didn’t survive the Hell I was put through. Life as a quad in a wheelchair sux no matter how you try to sugar coat it. Thanks for listening.
      -Dave[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 3:22 am

Hi, Dave.

Know that we’re thinking of you and praying for you today.

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 5:38 am

dave,

yep, you were done wrong. glad you now have andrea. btw, i love babyback ribs, yummie! take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• August 10, 2007 at 9:35 am

Hi Captain Dave,

I am sorry that today brings bad memories to mind. I will pray that God gets you through this awful day.

Dawn Kevies mom 😮

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 10:11 am

I’m glad you posted to let us know – I didnt realize it was 8 years ago! Will be thinking of you.

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 11:00 am

Hello Dave,
      This is what your family is here for and many of us can feel what you’re saying. We hear you! We need a VENTING thread to be added just for things like this, so we can all go to the same place just to talk to each other when we’re sad, depressed, angry, confused, etc.

You’re in my thoughts and my prayers. I wish we could all send you a special hamburger as comfort food.

From my heart,

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 11:25 am

Dave,
      That’s what we are here for: to listen and offer support. As you said there is no way to sugar coat it. You will be in my prayers each day that God will give the strength and courage to make it through each day.

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 2:07 pm

Sorry about your crappy luck. Find a good joke book or something funny on the net, maybe it will cheer you up.

Lori

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Hello Dave

I’m sorry that today is so bad for you…it’s times like this when we question
      ourselves…but you aren’t alone…we are here for you.

BTW, I love your food pictures…the ribs and crabs look so good…I smile
      when you post the food.

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 3:29 pm

[COLOR=red]Thanks for kind words and trying to keep my chin up today. I think what hurts the most is thedoctor that put me in this w/c didn’t even say “sorry”. He has no human compassion and he shouldn’t be carving into people.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I often wonder why I have to sit here while my brother and sister firefighters have to take up my slack and fight on without me. I tear up sometimes when I see a fire engine responding to a call. 🙁 God only knows how much I miss riding in the ‘Captains’ seat on the engine. Pulling up to a job wether it be fully involved fire, multi vehicle accident, or a cat stuck in a tree. The look on peoples’ faces knowing that me and my crew where there to help them, I miss that.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Sometimes I look up at my Captain helmet and want to smash it to pieces. Often I look up and smile. I could probably handle it better had I been crippled helping someone or doing what I love, but a carelesss surgeon never gave me the chance.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]A lot of my posts my be a little silly or corny, but thats me. I like to laugh and make my friends laugh too. When my friends and family are smiling and laughing then it helps me forget and I laugh too. It’s a nice break from the tears. Thank you GBS friends! 🙂 [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Now lets all have some milk and cookies![/COLOR]

[IMG]http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/622/prodmilk2percentrn2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9872/coojiejr9.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 4:39 pm

Hey Dave

Those cookies look good…home made. I love those pictures, it reminds me
      of stories about firemen whom really cook well.

Look at things this way – think of all the people that you have helped in the
      past…without you and your team, they might have perished. Maybe, this
      time, is necessary to relax and let the others take over…to show you that
      they have learned from you.

I, too, am in a wheelchair, before I scuba dived, played tennis, ran…now I
      can’t walk. I had to stop working because I had a boss that thought it was
      not visually positive having someone working in public in a wheelchair. It was
      said to me one-on-one, so I had no witness for backup.

My mind is so alive, sharp and always thinking…but the legs won’t take part
      in it. It is frustrating.

Thanks to you and your team for helping people…it won’t go unnoticed.

Miami Girl

• August 10, 2007 at 8:42 pm

Dear Captain Dave,

Since you chose to be a firefighter, you obviously have a compassionate nature about you. As well, since you ARE a Captain, you obviously have a leadership quality about you. Perhaps you could find some way to channel these wonderful attributes to help others that are in wheel chairs. I bet you would be great assisting Vets that come home injured with no idea what to expect. You have a great sense of humor, but you still realize the reality of the situation (your comment about sugar coating things) It takes a special person to be willing to help others, you are a special person. By the way, I am a little disappointed, I think I noticed 2% milk with those cookies! How could you!!

Dawn Kevies mom 😮

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 9:42 pm

Captain Dave ~ anniversaries are tough, especially when we are not where we would wish to be. And they usually bring up alot of memories . . . I’m sending you hugs because I care.

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 10:22 pm

Dave just know I’m pulling for you, I’ve had so many ups & downs over the last 7.5 yrs with my wife. I still blame that band aid station in the town I work out of for my wife’s problems. She was in there 4 times due to extreme vomitting, & she got 4 different diagnosis as to what whas wrong. She got so bad her mom got her into a hospital in Louisville Ky in 2000, they ran the same test that the bandaid station did. Which was an ultrasound, within 45 minutes they found she had a diseased gallbladder, that was 3 to 4 times bigger than normal. They did the surgery the next day for the removal of her gallbladder, I was hoping she would get better. Within 2 days the GBS set in on her, that’s when her world just fell apart. Then it was nothing but an uphill battle for her. I’ve had one too many encouters with bad Drs, trying to treat my wife. Now all I have of her is memories.

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2007 at 9:21 am

Captain Dave…….I wanted you to know that I am thinking of you during this tough time. I love your posts!, but the pictures of the food make me hungry. Milk and cookies………..yum! I will keep you in my prayers.

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2007 at 12:58 pm

My salute to you, Captain Dave

I sincerely feel you are still ‘Captain’ Only difference is earlier you were helping the victims of multi vehicle accident or so, now you are helping us to laugh and creating eagerness to visit this site.

Thanks for ‘responding to our call’ from time to time.

So don’t smash Captain’s helmet, hold it with proud.

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2007 at 9:48 pm

Captain Dave, I want to add my well wishes to all that have been expressed by fellow GBSers. God bless.

Peggy

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2007 at 10:53 pm

[COLOR=red]Thank you all once again![/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000]We all have rough times and thanks to you, mine was a little easier.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
      [IMG]http://www.mccaffreys.com/order/images/d009ab92Petit-Lobster.jpg[/IMG]
      [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B]Lobster tails for everyone![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Hello from Norway, Dave! I have just read this tread from the start to the end, and I can feel the compassion from all your (our) friends like a warm radiance from my screen! How wonderful right in the middle of the sad situation. Hope it made you feel better – or rather, I know it makes you feel better!

Making other people laugh was\is one of my coping strategies too, when things get too much. I have noticed that at least up to a point, the worse my conition, the faster my mind makes funny remarks about the situation:D .

Tell me, FiremanDave, is it true that you can get a cat down from a tree by standing under it opening a can?

And yes, thank you. I’ll join you for lobster tails and somme of that yummy ice-cream!

Keep on figthing the fire that burn your body – you’ll prevail, CAPTAIN!

• Anonymous
      August 12, 2007 at 2:46 pm

Dave,

Your always in my prayers bud.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2007 at 4:15 pm

Captain Dave,
      Try and not loose sight of the fact that it took YOU to make captain. Not the other way around. It’s sometimes all to easy to form our identities around what we do rather than who we are and what we’re made of. Keep fighting the GOOD fight and God bless.

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2007 at 6:12 pm

[B]Gosh Dave, we go back a long way don’t we Buddy? You know how I feel about you and that I have always tried to be here for you through all these years. You have come a long way since we first met and look where you are today, you met your Andrea here and fell in love and got married. How wonderful is that pal? I’d say pretty damn good. I will always be here for you if you need me, just call out for me.:) Love Ya Dave[/B]

[B]You Will Always Be My Jersey Boy.[/B]

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2007 at 12:11 am

For those of us left with severe residuals from GBS or CIDP, I wonder if we ever truly get over mourning the loss of who we once were, all the things we could once do & know now we can never do again. I seem to be OK during the day most of the time, but it is at night that I remember how I used to be. Sometimes I even bargain with God; just one more set of tennis, one more long walk in the evening with my husband, one more run down the ski hill. If I could just be the “old me” for one day, I think of all that I would squeeze in.

Then I look at my 26 year old who was born paralyzed from the waist down (spina bifida) & all that he has accomplished in his life, & I feel guilty. He has never known what it was like to run, or even walk normally. In a wheelchair he is a sports writer for the newspaper, yet he never got a chance to play football or baseball, his favorite two sports. Then I feel guilty for feeling sorry for myself. He has taught me how to live with a disability, that I can still be a valuable person here on earth.

Anniversaries are tough, it is hard to look back on all we might have done. Today so many of us identify ourselves with what we once did for a living; those of us who have lost our jobs due to this illness mourn that loss. How I loved teaching high school English & math. But I am still valuable, you are still valuable. But as soon as I get to heaven, I want a tennis racket & some neon green balls! It is not bad to remember, but one must try to live in the present.
      Pam

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2007 at 1:36 am

Beautiful, Pam!!!!

Per

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2007 at 6:31 am

God found another calling for you. Captain of this forum to help us through our traumas. He also made sure that you found a good wife to help you through these rough times. I am sure people look forward to your pictures of food and jokes.
      You are saving peoples lives with your sense of humor.

[B]So Captain of this Forum we salute you for a job well done.

[/B]

Sue

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2007 at 6:39 am

God found another calling for you. Captain of this forum to help us through our traumas. He also made sure that you found a good wife to help you through these rough times. I am sure people look forward to your pictures of food and jokes.
      You are saving peoples lives with your sense of humor.

[B]So Captain of this Forum we salute you for a job well done.

[/B]

Sue