rehab centers

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2007 at 10:52 am

Hi Everyone, I didn’t put this on the same thread, but I wanted to know about what types of rehab centers are good for patients with GBS. My dad was just transferred and his wife okay’d him to go to the convalescent hospital, and they do rehab 1-2 times a week. His trach tube hadnt been cleaned in days per a visiting LVN. What can we do. He is getting depressed being in there with a lot of older people. The place is filthy, and the smell is horrible… ANY advice would be of great help!!!! Oh, my dad is 62…. Thanks, Kim

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2007 at 12:12 pm

kim,

almost all places other than hospitals give sub standard treatment. you must raise hell w these folks & demand it be done right or you WILL report them. do so if they don’t comply. you have to keep a sharp eye out on all. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Thanks Gene, I will be going up there in the next few days and from the first day I didn’t like what I saw. I will watch them and I have learned over the last few months to not be quiet about my dads care. I will keep you all up to date. Thanks, Kim

• Anonymous
      June 24, 2007 at 2:46 pm

My dad is the administrator of a nursing home. Anytime a complaint is made, the state comes out to do an inspection. I would write a formal complaint to the state & let them know what is going on.

Someone should be with him every single day to make sure that the staff is keeping up with his care. I would type up a list of everything that should be done daily, every other day, once a week, etc & make copies for the family. When someone checks on him they should find the supervisor & ask what is done then check it off the list. If the place knows that your family is on top of things then they will work harder to make sure that his care is better.

Incidentally, my grandmother was in rehab center for 4 days last year around Thanksgiving. She was in a room with a woman who would deficate on herself & then spread it all over the place and no one would come for HOURS to clean her up. My Grandma was there for physical therapy and did not have it at ALL while she was there. On her 4th day she was in the bathroom & a male CNA walked in on her & didn’t even apologize. She had enough & signed herself out immediately. My family filed a complaint with the state & I’m told that they were out within a week to do an inspection.

Good luck,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 12:40 am

kelly, great post. great ideas. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 8:52 am

Stay on top of the situation. If he doesn’t like it and it isn’t a nice environment-it could set him back in the long run. Bad environment leads to negative attitude and that leads to stress which leads to problems. If you don’t like it, he certainly wouldn’t like being there 24 hours a day.

• Anonymous
      July 3, 2007 at 11:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. The center is making my dad depressed more and more everyday. He’s been there 2 weeks and they just did a care plan today. We were able to go and they were talking about sending him home in a few weeks. His wife on the other hand has said No, she can’t have him come home and that she prefers that the doctors and therapists don’t tell him things like that. What do you guys think? He has been in the hospital for almost 2 1/2 months all together. He walks with a walker and also uses his wheelchair. They also talked about training his family and him on his trach care and feeding tube feedings. Please any help for him would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kim