Recommend a good GBS Neurologist?

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 11:05 am

Does anyone know a good neurologist in the East Tennessee area or close around that knows and understands GBS? I would really like to see one who can help me with some questions. Thanks.

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 4:39 pm

Oh Babe, I hope you can find one ……… some of us just cant seem to find anyone who knows a “decent” amount about gbs ……..:(

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2006 at 9:41 pm

KY either the University of Kentucky Hospital at Lexington, or the University of Louisville Hospital for a referral neurologist experienced in GBS located in your area. U of L Neurology Dept is a teaching hospital…an excellent hospital for GBS/CIDP and other neuromuscular diseases. see Dr. Ismail. Ph 589-0802
      Department of Neurology A Building, Room 113 500 South Preston Louisville, KY 40202
      Phone: 502-852-7981 Patients and Referrals: 502-589-0802 FAX: 502-852-6344 Email:asamia991@msn.com

Another excellent group in Louisville: Louisville Neurology Associates, P.S.C. Doctors Office Bldg – Suite 202
      250 East Liberty Street Suggest Dr. Roy Meckler PH: 502-589-6177 FX: 502-589-6172

Dr Arman Sabet at the Kentucky Clinic,Dept. of Neurology. It is part of UK. lexington
      The phone # is 859-323-5661. We really like him and he does listen to you.

take care. be well.
      gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2006 at 9:02 am

Thanks for the info. I just had an episode yesterday and had to go by ambulance to hospital. The doctor had very little info on GBS and had never heard about miller-fisher variant…It wasn’t in his PDA data base. They kept insisting it was anxiety. I had been working in a flower bed and had an onset of symptoms (numbness and tingling) I had been hydrating and resting so I don’t think it was anxiety..infact, I know it wasn’t. Oh well, I managed to scare my family pretty well. I went home same night and am feeling better today just drained.
      Again, thanks for the concern. It means alot.

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2006 at 5:28 pm

at times when a doc is in over his head he can’t think outside the box & therefore finds something he does know & says that’s it. anxiety doen’t fit here. get an emg/ncv & he’ll change his tune. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2006 at 6:02 am

Anyone know a well informed neuro in New Zealand please let me know. The nurses seem to know so much more as to the treatment and care of GBS sufferers, maybe we should ask them, they are on the shop floor so to speak….

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2006 at 12:04 pm

There are two GBS contacts in New Zealand as far as I can see. If you contact either one or both, maybe one of them could point you in the right direction.

Mr. Terry Watton
      Paeroa
      07-862-6438

and

Mrs. Jenny Murray
      New Plymouth
      06-751-1014
      [EMAIL=”jenny.gbs.nz@clear.net.nz”]jenny.gbs.nz@clear.net.nz[/EMAIL]

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2006 at 5:09 pm

I don’t know how far you are from Birmingham, AL, but I feel that I received excellent care for my GBS at University Hospital there. It is a teaching hospital w/in the UAB system.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2006 at 7:19 pm

🙂 I will send an email, I was a member with them before and got their newsletter, I know they mean well but felt it was not very helpful or informative like their website.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2006 at 7:20 pm

and Terry started the NZ organisation before handing it on to Jenny.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2006 at 8:56 pm

Sorry to hear that Mike. I had their names in the Chapter Directory under International Chapters. Unfortunately yours isn’t the first story I have heard where people have found contacts to be unhelpful.

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2007 at 3:25 am

babeprice:
      my husband has not found a doctor in East Tennessee yet. Has been to two and neither has done him any good at all. His family internest has done more.
      He needs to be diagnosed . Both said perphical neuropothy (sp?) From all we have done ourself we believe he has cidp. We just need someone with the knowledge to diagnosis him hopefully with the spinal tap. We have found one doctor recommended by another patient but since he is in one of the groups where my husband first went they refuse to let him change to another doctor.

If you have found one please let us know. Lafare is the doctor he wants to see. we now have no place to go. He has had the symptoms for 22 months now.
      Can anyone help us.
      Joanf:(

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2007 at 8:50 am

hi joan & welcome,

these are the closest i have.

KY either the University of Kentucky Hospital at Lexington, or the University of Louisville Hospital for a referral neurologist experienced in GBS located in your area. U of L Neurology Dept is a teaching hospital…an excellent hospital for GBS/CIDP and other neuromuscular diseases. see Dr. Ismail. Ph 589-0802
      Department of Neurology A Building, Room 113 500 South Preston Louisville, KY 40202
      Phone: 502-852-7981 Patients and Referrals: 502-589-0802 FAX: 502-852-6344 Email:asamia991@msn.com

Another excellent group in Louisville: Louisville Neurology Associates, P.S.C. Doctors Office Bldg – Suite 202
      250 East Liberty Street Suggest Dr. Roy Meckler PH: 502-589-6177 FX: 502-589-6172

Dr Arman Sabet at the Kentucky Clinic,Dept. of Neurology. It is part of UK. lexington
      The phone # is 859-323-5661. We really like him and he does listen to you. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      December 19, 2007 at 1:41 pm

Carolina’s Medical Center!!!! 2nd largest healthcare system (at least on East coast). Learning Hospital. Large Neurology dept. with both pediatric and adult experience in GBS (my son being the most recent and youngest 17months). Try the Charlotte Downtown branch (main branch).

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2008 at 12:45 am

Thanks Gene: It has been a struggle but we do have one now but I will keep you info in case we get another opinion.
      Thanks