reactions to wasp stings

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 4:33 pm

Has anyone else suddenly become very allergic to waspt stings after they developed GBS? I never used to get more than a small welt at the sting site which would go away within a day. I have been stung twice after the GBS, the first time, my ankle swelled up to double the size for two weeks and yesterday, I got stung on my hand and within 24 hours, my hand and forearm swelled up to double the size. My GP said that he had not seen a reaction that bad, but luckily it was isolated to my hand and arm. My thought is that my immune system is not functionong properly and can’t handle stings like it used to but I am wondering whether it also will revert back to normal when I recover from GBS or will I always need to carry an Epi-pen fo future stings?

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 4:48 pm

Laura,

I have heard that in some people, each time they are stung, their bodies become more and more allergic. That may be a bad way of wording it, but im sure you know what im saying. My mom was one of those people. She had been stung several times in her life, the last time, her airways started swelling and she couldnt breath. She was told after it happened that this was common, and I have heard it mentioned a couple of times since then. I’m not sure how wasps would compare to bees in that aspect. However, I have had a sting since GBS, and have only swelled up quite a bit, which is the same reaction I got before my onset. With regard to the swelling, I’m sure next time it happens, you will keep a close watch on how or if it starts to affect your breathing.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 9:49 pm

i have noticed some funky things since my onset of gbs, but no difference in a wasp sting. i was stung this summer in our pool and was waiting for the major swelling to begin, but it really was no worse than before gbs. i would say, don’t leave home without the epi-pen, just in case. with our immune systems being as screwed up as they are, it’s better to be safe than sorry. stay well.:)