Rare gene mutations and autoimmune disease

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Scientists have published findings linking rare gene mutations and autoimmune disease. They have found a set of mutations in a gene that has a role in regulating B cells in the immune system that produce antibodies. As I read it, this is but one piece of a very complicated puzzle, in which the interaction of a number of gene variants may combine to produce a predisposition to autoimmune disorders.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/06/rare-variants/

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2010 at 11:52 am

[I]sorry, Gary … I couldn’t bring up the website.:( [/I]

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Gary,

I think that is where we all got the short end of the stick. Somewhere, this type of anomaly caused these cells to develop poorly and not get destroyed like they should have. then once they got out into the body, they worked their magic, and we got the payoff, some form of autoimmune disease.

It would be neat if they could isolate the original genetic mutation, I don’t know how that would help on the back side, other than identifying it, but it is progress.

On a big brother note. One thing that has always sort of scared me is the thought that scientists could identify all of these possible genetic mutations, and then the life or health insurance companies would decline you or rate you higher, or your credit score would go lower because of either your chance for a genetic disease, early death. loss of job or income, etc.

Dick S

• Anonymous
      June 20, 2010 at 10:51 am

[QUOTE=Dick S]Gary,
      On a big brother note. One thing that has always sort of scared me is the thought that scientists could identify all of these possible genetic mutations, and then the life or health insurance companies would decline you or rate you higher, or your credit score would go lower because of either your chance for a genetic disease, early death. loss of job or income, etc.
      Dick S[/QUOTE]

[I]And they already do those things, but with less medical info … heaven help us all if our genetic makeup is available to them.[/I]

• Anonymous
      June 23, 2010 at 8:18 pm

My 3 year old has cidp and a genetic mutation has been mentioned to us regarding this.