Rapid Recovery, and lingering effects

• December 3, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Hello! My name is Aleksander, and I was diagnosed with GBS after a rapid onset over the course of a couple hours back in June of this year. I was treated with IVIG for 5 days, and had a rapid recovery. For me, I had the muscular form and while in the hospital, I went from being completely unable to walk to being able to walk around. After going to a neurologist about a month later, I was cleared to be back at my jobs and they found no residual nerve damage.

That being said, as soon as I got the opportunity to, I tried to ignore GBS. I thought, I’m back to normal. Oh my muscle aches are because I don’t walk enough. I’m warm because I have a high metabolism. I didn’t really link a lot of random things that have been weird with my body to possibly being affected by GBS until this last Saturday.

I went to go donate Plasma. I really just wanted to get some extra money for the holidays, because I have a tendency to go a little overboard on gifts. I passed everything else they were looking for, until I told them I had been diagnosed with GBS 6 months prior. Something that I had been trying to ignore came back and cost me $95. I went online and started looking for any reason why someone who previously had GBS couldn’t donate plasma, and I couldn’t find much. On my hunt for answers, I came across this forum where a lot of people have experienced things similar to what I had experienced, and that’s how I ended up here.