Rabies Vaccine

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I know this is an unusual question but my husband was required by his employer to receive a pre-exposure rabies vaccine and I was wondering if any one has any information regarding the chances of coming down with GBS from this? He was diagnosed two weeks ago and is making a speedy recovery. The doctors have confirmed that his had to be from a vaccine and he has had two different vaccines: this season’s flu in November 2011 and the rabies in 2009-2010. It is my understanding that a reaction to the flu vaccine is always within the first six weeks after the injection. So, in my mind this only leaves the rabies. GBS is breifly mentioned on the CDC website as a possible side-effect but then contradicts itself in the next paragraph. I was hoping I could find someone in this forum that may have a similiar experience.

• GH
      March 4, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Although GBS is associated with certain types of infections, “No one yet knows why Guillain-Barré strikes some people and not others or what sets the disease in motion.” (Quote from the National Institutes of Health.)

Guillain-Barré Syndrome Information Page (from NIH)

It is not possible to say with certainty what triggered any particular case of GBS. While there may be some possibility of a link, mere coincidence in time is not proof of it.

• GH
      March 4, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Here’s a link to the Medline Plus document on the subject:

Rabies Vaccine

• August 9, 2014 at 6:46 am

Rabies vaccine works by inspiring the resistant system to create antibodies beside the rabies virus. Some medical conditions might interrelate with rabies vaccine. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions.