Quotable Quotes—Our Motivational Favorites

• Anonymous
      June 20, 2008 at 9:56 am

I am a great lover of quotes and use them quite frequently to demonstrate a point during training. Sometimes, I just love reading them as they give me hope and understanding. I noticed a lot of you have quotes on your signature and so I thought perhaps we could all share some of our favorites and I can add them to my collection. I have a journal where I write them all down.

I have two favorites. One is from a young man named Chris Burke and it is my guiding light. He is an actor and is affected by Down Syndrome. Someone asked him once what he attributed his success to and he said he had a motto that he lived by. This is the motto he had posted up in his room:

“Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”

My second favorite one is from Gandhi:

“Be the change you want to see in the world.”

So looking forward to hearing some of your favorites!!:)

• Anonymous
      June 20, 2008 at 10:39 am

What a great thread!! These two are posted on my refrigerator and motivate me daily, especially when I get in a funk:

By Amy Tan “If you can’t change your fate, change your attitude”.

By Winston Churchill “Never, never, never, never give up”.

The first quote changed my outlook last year when I was quite cranky and miserable. I can’t do anything about what happened but I can certainly change the way I deal with it. And I did!!

• Anonymous
      June 20, 2008 at 4:03 pm

“Anyone who thinks money is important either hasn’t been sick …or is.” Malcolm Forbes

“The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.”

What words will make you happy when you are sad, and sad when you are happy? THIS TOO SHALL PASS

It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.

Pray to GOD, but row away from the rocks.
      Pray to Allah, but tie up your camel.

• Anonymous
      June 20, 2008 at 11:40 pm

“This is like deja vu all over again.”
      “Baseball is 90% mental–the other half is physical.”
      “A nickel isn’t worth a dime today.”
      “If you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
      “”90% of the putts that are short don’t go in.”
      “how about a couple of songs; “Don’t Worry Be Happy”. My wife won’t let me play the sad songs, but if I could how about “Send in the Clowns!”

• June 21, 2008 at 1:52 am

“be open to outcome not attached to outcome” (I always forget this one, but hubby tells me this when I am disappointed with the ‘outcome’ of something when it wasn’t what I wanted)

“Faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen”

“If you’re going thru hell, keep on going…ya might get out before the devil even knows you’re there”…. Rodney Atkins, country singer. This song really helped me thru being sick with GBS. When I first heard it, I was having a bad day and it made me cry.

Another song, this one by Rascal Flatts, also helped me thru some tough moments. “Stand”
      “…Cause when push comes to shove
      You taste what you’re made of
      You might bend, till you break
      Cause its all you can take
      On your knees you look up
      Decide you’ve had enough
      You get mad you get strong
      Wipe your hands shake it off
      Then you Stand, Then you stand”

Not sure if this is what ya wanted here, but they are what help me thru rough moments.

• Anonymous
      June 21, 2008 at 10:06 am

Hey Old Mama as Jamie would say, these are wonderful and they are exactly what I want. It is all about those little sayings/songs that get us through those dark moments. To all of you, this is exactly what I am wanting and through this process maybe others will read these quotes and find the motivation to keep on keeping on.

Together
      Each
      Accomplishes
      More

TEAM…that’s what we all are here!

• Anonymous
      June 22, 2008 at 8:58 am

My Favorite one is :
      “Small holes sink big ships” I read it some where long ago. We use it when we get spend happy with alot of junkets.
      Ron

• Anonymous
      June 22, 2008 at 3:26 pm

[FONT=”Georgia”][SIZE=”3″]I have one from a tv person from Canada from the Red Greene Show. Remember we’re all in this together, I’m Pulling You ๐Ÿ™‚ [/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2008 at 9:00 am

I have carried this medallion in my purse since 1970 on my first airplane flight. On one side are praying hands and the other side is this prayer.

God grant me
      the srernity to
      accept the things
      I cannot change
      the courage to change
      the things I can
      and the wisdom
      to know the difference
      Amen

Shirley

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2008 at 10:07 am

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.” -Buddha

This quote has helped me in many ways. It was given to me on a magnet after my son was sick.

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2008 at 9:31 am

My favorite, favorite quote is actually in someone’s signature line, I think its Iowagal.

It motivated me to no end in the hospital.

I used to tell other people in the re-hab room this quote.

“Courage does not always appear as a loud, mighty, roar. Sometimes it is a very small quiet voice at the end of the day that says, I’ll be back tomorrow.”

Powerful.

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2008 at 10:16 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”Blue”]Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow.

Alice Mackenzie Swaim[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2008 at 12:12 pm

“I’ve come to believe that all my past failures and frustrations were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy.” -Anthony Robbins

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2008 at 8:12 pm

You just made me laugh soooo hard, Jan83!!! I call FairlyOddMother by “Odd Mama”, not “Old Mama”:D

If i did call her old, it was by accident. Boy, that must have made her day:p

Thanks for the laugh! Needed that today!

Still thinking of my favorite quote, so i’ll have to get back to you on that.

Take Care!
      Jamie

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2008 at 8:19 pm

we have this on the main page of our website:

[B][COLOR=”Sienna”]Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart.
      Try to love the questions themselves
      like locked rooms, like books that are written
      in a very foreign tongue.
      Do not now seek the answers which cannot be given you
      because you would not be able to live them
      and the point is live everything.
      Live the questions now.
      Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it,
      live along some distant day into the answer.
      – Rainer Maria Rilke
      [/COLOR][/B]

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2008 at 11:27 am

My favorites are;

The only way to test the possible is to go beyond into the impossible – Authur C Clarke

Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives. – William Dement

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2008 at 2:23 pm

[B]Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
      By Louisa May Alcott[/B]

[B]Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.
      By Confucius

Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
      By Robert Collier[/B]

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2008 at 3:27 pm

My favorite quotes are the ones in my signature ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2008 at 1:12 am

There might be more than you believe
      There might be more than you can see
      But its not my time
      im not going
      theres a fear in me
      its not showing
      this could be the end of me
      and everything i know
      but its not my time
      im not going
      theres a will in me
      now its gonna show
      this could be the end of me
      and everything i know
      there might be more than you believe
      there might be more than you can see
      and i wont go
      no, i wont go down

most people may not find the inspiration in it that i do, but it is an upbeat rock song by 3 Doors Down that came out when i was really sick. it made me happy to listen to it, like, “Yeah, no one’s gonna tell me that im gonna die – im not ready and i have too much to live for”. it makes me thing of you guys, too. i think if you all heard it, youd agree that its awesome. and the first verse talks about it being hard to breathe, which absolutely takes me back to some very scary times. sure you understand that part!

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2008 at 7:49 am

Jamie,

I heard a great song in re-hab – I was having a hard day, everything was stacking up against me and I heard Tom Petty’s, “I won’t back down”

No, I won’t back down.
      No, I won’t back down.
      You can stand me up at the gates of Hell,
      But I won’t back down.

Awesome. Re-hab wasn’t the same after that.

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2008 at 9:22 am

You guys are great. I love this. I have some great stuff now that I can use for work and hopefully this will help and motivate others to keep on going.

You’ve all heard…”When the going gets tough, the tough get going!”

Well that’s what we all have to do. Jamie and Brett, I totally got the songs.

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2008 at 9:42 am

Brett,

Im gonna look up that song! There’s nothing better than music! My little brother is in college right now, something to do with music. He told me that music is the most powerful thing in the world. He pointed out how you can take any words and put them do different types of music or sing them in different ways and they will evoke a huge variety of feelings, even though you never change the words. He talks about music being a universal language that can heal wounds and cause wars. Powerful stuff, ha?

Jan,

that would be awesome if somehow you were able to help people using our 1 a.m. ramblings:D Makes me feel a bit better about my mile-long posts;) By the way, youre awesome!

jamie

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Back at you Jamie! I really do love to use things that others share because when I use your “ramblings” and quotes and put a bit of context around them, people really get it! It being that we are in control of only ourselves and (here’s another quote) “All that we do echoes through eternity”.

“I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in my life. I possess tremendous power to make someone’s life miserable or joyous. I can humiliate or humour, hurt or heal. In all instances, it is my response that decides whether a situation will escalate or de-escalate, a person be built up or torn down.” (Hiam Ginott)

I live by this to the best of my ability and I challenge others to do the same. When others treat us badly, we make assumptions about why, when in fact, what we should do is ask ourselves what is happening in that person’s life that is causeing them so much pain. It helps us to empathize, instead of hurt. Now it was my turn to ramble. sorry. Didn’t mean to get on this soap box. Stepping down now…:eek:

• July 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm

Haste makes waste. I always tell my kids to take their time the first time no matter how hard the task may seem. Because if you rush through it you just end up doing it again.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2008 at 11:21 pm

jan,

i absolutely agree with what youve said. someone told me to be kind and caring to strangers who are rude to me. they said that there is obviously something going on to make them act in such a way. made sense to me, so i tried it out.

for example, if a clerk is grumpy during the holidays, then i acknowledge how difficult her job must be with the Christmas rush. i thank her sincerely and wish her a better afternoon. the impact that a few kind words can have is amazing! sometimes, they break down in tears and explain what in the world is going on with them – a sick child or parent, marital issues or money problems, a mean boss, chronic pain, etc.

I use this lesson every day at work, with my patients and their families, especially, but with coworkers, too. I think you and i have discussed before that where there is anger or difficult behavior, there is almost always some need that has not been met.

Thank you for helping others the way that you do!

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Here’s one I made up. My kids heard it so many times when they were growing up, they can still quote it, and they’re now in their 20s and 30s.

“The measure of your success in life won’t be determined by how well you plan. Instead, it will be determined by how you react when things don’t go as planned.”

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Excellent Rod. You shall be quoted and duly noted in my training!

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2008 at 12:45 am

good one, rod! hope your kids listened! if they didnt back then, im sure they do now!

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2008 at 8:57 am

Thanks Rod. Excellent statement/quote. I will be quoting you and noting you in my trainings:)

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Here’s one that was given by Hartie Spence, the keynote speaker at our son’s high school graduation. Mr. Spence was then the CEO of one of our larger regional banks. He told the graduates to pay attention because he was going to tell them, in less than 10 minutes, how they could be successful in life, regardless of they type of work they planned to do, by just doing four things.

I’ve used this many times, when speaking to high school classes about how they could be successful when entering the work force. Unfortunately, it just blew by many of them. But, out of every class, there always seemed to one or two that got it. Here’s the 10 minute speech, condensed to a few lines.

1. Show up. If you just show up, you’re ahead of 50% of the people in the world.
      2. Show up on time. If you do that, you’ll knock out another 25% of the people.
      3. Show up properly dressed for work. If you’re a guy, and a clerk in an alternative music store, earrings are cool. If you’re a teller in a bank, they’re not.
      4. Show up with the right attitude.

Just two years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Spence at a bankers convention. I told him how much his speech had impressed me and of the hundreds of times I had repeated it to thousands of high school students, always crediting him. He asked me to repeat it back to him and, when I had done so, he told me that my telling him of the extended impact of his speech was the high point of his attendance at the convention.

When you throw a small stone in the water, you never know how far the ripples will reach or who they will touch.

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2008 at 12:36 pm

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4]Never give up Keep on keepin on. [/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia]I’ve tried to adopt that one due to fighting with this neuropathy.[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Rod,

Love Those 4 Points You Made. I’ll Tell My Kids, And, Im Sure, Many Others.

Dustdemon,

Funny You Said, “keep On Keepin’ On”. That Is One Little Phrase That Has Literally Kept Me Going. It Is In A Song That Came Out When I Was At My Worst – “all You Gotta Do Is Keep On Keepin’ On…”
      So, That Was My Focus Everyday.

Have A Good Day!

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2008 at 3:20 pm

[SIZE=”4″]Be yourself ~ everyone else is already taken ๐Ÿ˜€ [/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2008 at 6:09 pm

I like, Judy. Another one i’ll have to tell my kids;)

• Anonymous
      July 22, 2008 at 11:46 am

Alright, I have two more. One is a quote, the other is a poem.

“It’s always darkest before the dawn.” – This one has been helping me a lot lately as I deal with the recent spate of tests I’ve been going through.

Whenever I feel like giving up, this poem never fails to rally my strength.
      Invictus by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
      Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
      I thank whatever gods may be
      For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
      I have not winced nor cried aloud.
      Under the bludgeonings of chance
      My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
      Looms but the horror of the shade,
      And yet the menace of the years